Kinmundy Homes (Book #2)
Kinmundy, Marion Co., Illinois
(Note: Since there are so many images, these have been divided up into three books for the website.
Remember that you can also use CTRL-F to find a particular surname within these pictures when you are on the page.)
Click on these links to view the other "Kinmundy Homes" photos
We are looking for photos of people and/or places from around Kinmundy & Alma. Can you help?
Or maybe you have stories or memories from the "Good Old Days"? What do YOU remember?
The Kinmundy Historical Society would be honored to preserve your memories and stories. We also have the
equipment to scan (or copy) your photos so that they may be enjoyed now as well as for generations yet to come!
We would love to hear from you! For more information, please contact:
Dolores (Ford) Mobley – Dolores@ford-mobley.com
208 Joan Dr.; Divernon, IL 62530; (217) 625-7527
Gladys (Corrie) See – firstname.lastname@example.org
408 S. Washington St.; Kinmundy, IL 62854; (618) 547-7731
(R-30) Farm residence of J.L. Davis (8824 St. Peter Rd)
It is now gone, but it was later owned by James Harvey Gray, and then was the O'Dell farm.
(R-31a) Barn of J.L. Davis and 2 year filly - weight 1350. This was located on St. Peter Rd.
This became the O'Dell farm.
(R-34a) Residence of Mrs. Harriet Haworth located at 400-500 block of E. Sycamore St.)
Mrs. Haworth was the daughter of Isaac and Althenia Eagan. Mr. Eagan was the developer of several of the additions to the town of Kinmundy.
From the Nov. 8, 1883 edition of the Kinmundy newspaper, we find that Harriet's husband, James C. Haworth (1840-1896) was
the owner and manufacturer of saddles, harnesses, horse collars and carriages.
This residence was north of "The Curve", and was later the J.O. & Frankie Cox home. It has since been torn down.
(R-35b) Residence of John Motch located at 500 block of W. Third St. (north side).
(R-38) Residence of Dr. F.S. Songer. This is located at 205 N. Lincoln St., and is now owned by Bryan Douglas.
(R-39) The residence Dr. & A.W. Songer was located at 205 N. Lincoln St. looking north.
Other owners were Tom & Emma Ballance, Bill Allen, Carl, Ellen & Mike Jackson.
(The Erma Ingram home is on the right (310 W. Sycamore St.))
(R-41) Residence of E.E. "Peck" Brown home at 101 S. West St. This is the southeast corner of 1st and West Streets.
This picture was taken 1908
(R-15) E.E. "Peck" Brown residence at 101 S. West St. looking northwest. Pictured are Mrs. Brown and Mr. Brown.
(R-161) SNELLING PLACE: The Residence of David P. Snelling (corner of 4th St. & Freemont) was built 1869. (It is no longer there.) It was later owned by the
Suggett family. From the Centennial Book: “Suggett Residence: This house built by Judge David P. Snelling nearly a century ago, is now the residence of
Helen and Ray Suggett, formerly of Chicago. Judge Snelling was born in Maine and worked in the ship building business in New Hampshire as a youth,
which may account for the cupola with windows on all sides which in the old days adorned the roof. After joining the gold rush,
going to California by ship and across the Isthmus of Panama on foot and horseback, he returned home the same way and decided to settle in the middle west.
He chose Kinmundy, and built this fine old home, which is one of the community’s show places, since the Suggetts bought and remodeled it.”
(R-42b) SNELLING PLACE: The David P. Snelling house on the corner of 4th St. and Freemont. This home was later owned by the Suggett family.
(See writeup in the above photos.)
(R-123) David P. Snelling Residence (see articles above and below this photo for more information.)
(R-161e) David P. Snelling Residence
"My Old Kinmundy Home" - "Centralia Sentinel" - May 17, 1970
Silver Spoons with private home engraved upon them are by no means common, but rarer yet is one of the 101-year-old
original still standing. The Judge David P. Snelling homestead in Kinmundy, built in 1869 by an Eastern shipbuilder originally
reflected his New England background. Snelling was born in 1820 at Livermore, Maine, and he spent his youth in New Hampshire
as a shipwright; marrying his wife, Hannah, at Windham. In the '49 gold rush, he shipped out to the Isthmus of Panama, walked
and rode across it, and continue on to California. He returned the same way, but decided to become a farmer in the midwest.
The Snellings acquired a half-section of land south of Kinmundy, and although they were a wealthy family, it is not known if the
source of his prosperity was the gold fields. The house originally (top) had a large front porch which went around to the back wing;
an octagonal, shuttered cupola (removed before the spoon was engraved); and a large attached barn on the rear which shows on both
the spoon and the old photograph. Remodeled by the Suggetts some years ago, the house retains part of the front porch, with an
upstairs door, and a coal-burning fireplace int he front parlor. Of the Snelling's children, two died: Lettie in the same year the home
was built, when she was three; and antoher young son, Albert, died about five years later. Nellie, owner of the spoon, was born in 1859,
married a local railroad engineer, Sumner Dillon, and moved to Chicago - no doubt the happy origin of the silver momento.
George became a mail messenger between the C & EI, the I.C. and the Post Office, and later had one of the area's first Chevrolet
agencies, with a sub-agency in Salem. Frank stayed on as a farmer; Mary Abbie (Babcok) was widowed and returned to Kinmundy
as a schoolteacher; and Elroy was the town's leading musician (First Cornet) and restaurateur. The homestead today (below) is owned
by the Harper family, and in place of the back parlor has an ultramodern study with a contemporary fireplace.
(R-161d) David P. Snelling Residence located on 4th & Freemont Streets (see above for more information.)
(R-76c) George Snelling residence at 619 W. 4th St.
(R-76a) Residence of Geo. Snelling – West 4th Street. This was the last house before Rt. 37
(R-43a) M.P. Gramley residence at the 400 block of S. Madison St. on the west side.
(R-72a) Residence of M.P. Gramley at the 400 block of S. Madison St. He owned a general store next to the Opera House.
(This house was just north of Cliff Olden’s in Sept. 1982.)
(RS-16b)Looking north from Gramleys. I.C. Depot & water tower in photo.
(R-40a) Residence of Edward.G. Mendenhall in the 500 block of S. Washington St. on east side.
He was born in Bath, England in 1846 and came to this country with his parents when he was 7 years old, and fought in the Civil War. He died in 1917.
(R-40c) The Mendenhall's Bungalow located on the east side of the 500 block of S. Washington St, was occupied by Edward G. Mendenhall, who owned and
operated a fruit farm and park nursery on South Washington Street. He was born Oct. 18, 1846 in Bath, England and died March 12, 1917. He came to
this country with his parents when he was 7 years old and enlisted in the Civil War at the age of 15. E.G. was elected two terms as mayor of Kinmundy.
Pictured here from left to right are E.G.'s wife, Alice, his son, Chester B., and his granddaughter, Alecia (Mendenhall) White.
(R-40b) 4th of July at E.G. Mendenhall home in the 500 block of S. Washington St. on east side.
(R-40d) Park Nursery, E.G.Mendenhall. (This may have been on South Washington St., but we do not know for sure.)
(R-46a) Dr. J.L. Laswell residence located at 511 E. 3rd St.
(R-100a) Leach home at 821 Kinlou road. Later owned by Shawn and Sharon Folsom.
From the Kinmundy Centennial book: " This hundred year old house, which stands east of Kinmundy, was built by Michael Wolfe of Louisville, Ky.
about 1857. It's outside walls are 18" thick and made of brick. Most of the material was brought from Kentucky. Some think it might have been planned
for a hotel, since all the rooms had outside entrances and were large enough for several beds. The custom in those days was for a family to stay
in a hotel until their home was built on the newly claimed land. It was first occupied by Wolfe and his sister’s family, the Absalom Tuckers.
She was the grandmother of Byron Rotan and the great-grandmother of numerous Boyds and Rotans and Wades. Wolfe died a bachelor,
leaving no will, so the property was sold to settle the estate, and in 1868, George West, who came from Indiana by way of Galena, III.,
bought and remodeled it for his family home. In 1885 he sold it to his son, Charles, who added many acres, named it Hereford Park and raised
fine cattle there until 1903. It went through many hands, Henry Greening, Wm. H. Meeks, Ayers Conant, John Merchant, and finally in 1920,
Tony Young, who had extensive orchards in the neighborhood bought it. After his death it was sold by his widow to O.I. Leach, the present owner.
The first purchaser of the land was Isaac Eagan who bought it from the government in 1852 sold it to W.J. Sprouse, in 1856, and one month later
it was bought by Michael Wolfe. Eleven owners since it was government land.
(R-99a) Leach home at 821 Kinlou road. Later owned by Shawn and Sharon Folsom.
The following article was printed in the Salem Times-Commoner, issue of June 28, 1973. The Leach Home was one of the photographs used in “Land Between the Rivers: The Southern Illinois Country” (Southern Illinois University Press, 1973) and can be found on page 49
“A legendary Civil War mansion is located in Kinmundy and has been the private home of Mr. and Mrs. Orous Leach the past 22 years. It was built in 1857 and is constructed of brick and mortar and has 18-inch thick walls. The two-storied structure has 12-foot high ceilings and has dimensions of 45' by 65'. It has eight main rooms and two picturesque staircases.
Brick for the walls were thought to have been manufactured at a company in Kinmundy which operated some 120 years ago. The interior woodwork is of fine white pine.
One of the legends pertaining to the house relates that it was once used as a hotel but that the plans were abandoned when the Illinois Central Railroad was laid too far west of the site.
Robert Lincoln, son of the Great Emancipator, was one of the United States government committeemen who’s signature appeared on the deed ceding the land to the Illinois Central Railroad. The land was later sold to private interests when railroad officials found that the farm was of no use to them.
The farm’s former owners were Mr. and Mrs. Tony Young who purchased it and planted a large orchard.
The property is located on the Kinmundy-Louisville blacktop road, across the highway from the city grade school. A huge barn, believed built about the same time as the mansion, has been converted into a museum with displays featuring Mexican, Indian, and Spanish articles and has been named ‘La Casa Grande.
Leach and his wife, Fernandine, and their two children, Connie 4 and Larry 13, moved into the mansion in 1951, and marked the 100th anniversary of the place during Kinmundy’s centennial in 1957. Connie is now Mrs. Quenton Robnett of Champaign and Larry is an employee of Proctor-Gamble Co. in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Leach, now 81, purchased the property as a ‘retirement place’ but has been anything but retired. Several years ago, with 37 years of teaching in his background, he retired to supplement his teacher’s pension, went to work selling Raleigh products. He later went to work as secretary-treasurer of the Kinmundy Building and Loan office, where he is still a member of the board. He keeps up with the yard maintenance on the four-acres mansion plot and also manages a Shakles products business as a sideline.
The Leaches are always happy to welcome visitors and show them around the estate. Any income from the sale of items from this museum goes toward maintenance of the buildings and grounds such as the barn’s recent 47-gallon new coat of red paint.”
We believe we read a few years ago that Mr. Leach had passed away. We not know whether any of the Leach family still lives in this antebellum mansion."
“Footprints in Marion County” - Vol. X; No. 1; Summer 1985
Marion County Genealogical and Historical Society
(R-47b) "Miss Mamie" (Songer) Brown home. Later this was the Erma Ingram home at 310 W. Sycamore St..
From the Centennial Book, the following was written about the Ingram Residence.
"This house, now the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Elwin Ingram (in 1957; this was the son's house in 2006) was built by Abram Songer
for his bride, Margaret Nelms, when they came to Kinmundy from Xenia soon after their marriage in 1868.
Mr. Songer was a prisoner in Libby Prison during the Civil war, and was one of a group who tunneled out, and made their way home.
Mrs. Songer was a school teacher in Marion and Clay county during the war and received her education from the Southern Illinois Female College in Salem.
With his brother, Giles, Mr. Songer built the Songer mill which is nearby, from brick which they made themselves. This house originally was a
small one-story affair but in 1893 the two story part was added in front and the whole house remodeled. After Mrs. Songer’s death, her daughter
“Miss Mame” (Mrs James Brown) lived there with her husband, father and aunt, Miss Mollie Songer, who was one of Kinmundy’s early storekeepers.
After they were all gone it belonged to Bert Garrett who sold to the Ingrams. It has been remodeled and modernized by still has the look of the old place.
Mrs. Ingram is a collector of antiques and has filled her home with them.”
(R-64c) Residence of Mitch Allen. (Possibly on West 4th St.)
R-64d) A.M. Allen residence on Madison Street. (Later the home of Dwight Alexander, and then Lottie Henrich)
(R-66) Residence of J.W. Allen; Later this was the Anna Kolb home, across from Linton Funeral Home
(R-68a) W.H. Allen home. (This was later the Dwight Day home.)
(R-69b) Front room of W.H. Allen home. (Later Dwight Day lived here.)
(R-193) Late 1800's dining room
(R-50b) Residence of Mrs. C.W. West located at 500 block of S. Washington St. on the east side of the street.
(R-51b) Brenner homestead located at110 N. Madison.
This was also owned by John Merchant, and torn down to build the new brick building for the Catholic Church which was dedicated in 1951.
(R-324) Jonathan G Brenner house in Kinmundy
(R-182) Residence of S. Coehern, located on the south east corner of 1st & Adams St.
Other owners were Kate and Florence Scothern, Lester and Floine Wilkinson, and the Schneider family.
(R-184) Residence of G. Fenster at 317 S. Monroe St.
Other owners were the McCully's, and Toby and Kelly Gullion
(R-77) Residence of P.A. Shriver (possibly area of Porter and 4th streets)
(R-24b) Residence of W.H. Shriver at 703 E. 1st Street. Other owners, J. Norris Vallow, and Susan Jamison.
(R-49d) Sutton home (500 block of West 4th St.) looking east.
Second house from the left owned by Marie Mulvaney (504 W. 4th Street)
(R-49a) Residence of N.S. Sutton (500 block was West 4th Street.)
R-81a) O.N. Tyner Residence was located at 210 E. 3rd St.. The owner was a photographer in the Kinmundy area.
This home was later owned by Beryl & Dorothy Keen.
(RS-6) South Monroe St. looking north from 3rd St.
(RS-5) South Washington St. looking north from 4th St.
(RS-4) South Washington St. looking south
(RS-4c) South Washington St. looking south (on postcard sent in 1911)
(RS-1) West Fourth St. looking west from Monroe
(R-52) Residence of J.H. Jackson (Dwight Alexander’s grandfather) across from tower
Site and contents copyright 2006-2014 - Kinmundy Historical Society (Kinmundy, Illinois) - a nonprofit organization.