Kinmundy  Homes (Book #1)

                                Kinmundy, Marion Co., Illinois

 

                                     (Note: Since there are so many images, these have been divided up into three books for the website. 

                          Remember that you can also use CTRL-F to find a particular surname within these pictures when you are on the page.) 

 

                                   Click on these links to view the other "Kinmundy Homes" photos

                                                    Book #2              Book #3

 

 

                                                            Click to return to  Previous Page

 

 


    

   We are looking for photos of people and/or places from around Kinmundy & Alma.  Can you help?

Or maybe you have stories or memories from the "Good Old Days"?  What do YOU remember?

        The Kinmundy Historical Society would be honored to preserve your memories and stories.  We also have the

equipment to scan (or copy) your photos so that they may be enjoyed now as well as for generations yet to come!

        We would love to hear from you!  For more information, please contact: 

       

   Dolores (Ford) Mobley – Dolores@ford-mobley.com

                       208 Joan Dr.; Divernon, IL  62530; (217) 625-7527

            or

           

            Gladys (Corrie) See – gsee49@yahoo.com

                                         408 S. Washington St.; Kinmundy, IL 62854; (618) 547-7731

 


 

Kinmundy first house

(R-162) This was the first house in Kinmundy, though it stood north of the town plat, about a block south of the old Catholic Church.

W.E. Eagan built the first house in 1857, in which he kept a general store, and was also postmaster.

(Information from the Kinmundy Centennial book.)

 

 

(R-1c) Residence of Ike Pruden, which was located at 601 or 603 E. 4th St.

This home was also owned by Dewey Lacey (across from Mel Boyd) on the east part of town.  (Both have been torn down.)

 

(R-2b) Residence of J.R. & Florence Mahan located at 200 N. Madison St. 

This was taken at the northeast side corner of Madison and Sycamore streets, looking east from Madison.

 

 

(R-3b) Residence of Mrs. M.J. White at 103 S. West St.  This house was later owned by Richard Motch.

 

                         

(R-17b) - Elizabeth Gray residence located at 209 S. Washington St.

Mrs. Elizabeth (Clark) Boothe Gray married first to James W. Boothe.  In August 1861, Mr. Boothe organized a regiment from the surrounding area, and

was elected Lieutenant Colonel.  He fell sick and was sent home, where he died in 1863.  Elizabeth was next married to James Harvey Gray.  She became the

widow of James Harvey Gray's third marriage and built this home in 1905.  The carpenters were Charles B. French, and Samuel and John Allen.  Elizabeth

was born in Indiana on May 13, 1827, and died Feb. 9, 1915, and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.  Her second husband, James H. Gray (1825-1901)

was a prominent businessman in Kinmundy. 

In 2011, this house is owned by Rex and Karil Garrett.

 

 

W.H. Gray home in Kinmundy

(R-4) This was the home of W.H. Gray at 206 S. Washington St.  (It's the next house north of Calendar Rohrobough.)

Judge Holt lived here, and Harold Mulvaney removed the second floor in the 1980's.

 

 

Morris and Gray in Kinmundy

(R-33b) Morris & Gray - Ready for School

 

 

Mrs. Dora Brenner's home in Kinmundy

(R-80) Mrs. Dora Brenner's "Terrace Cottage" located at 101 N. Madison.  (Later owned by Ira C. Morris.)

 

 

Ira C. Morris in Kinmundy

(R-171)  This terrace cottage of Dora Brenner was built in the early 1900's.  Her husband, John M. Brenner, was born Oct. 6, 1846 in Bavaria,

and died Nov. 14, 1895.  He is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.  They married in Marion Co., IL on Sept. 11, 1877.  Mr. Brenner came to Kinmundy

with his father, George L. Brenner and his mother, Mary, in the early 1860's.  John's lumber yard business was listed in the 1868 city directory as

mentioned in "The Kinmundy Express".  This home was later owned by Lewella (Morris) Neathery, then Ira C. Morris.  In 2007, it was owned by

Joe and Mary Kendrick.

 

(R-320) Brenner home.  (This was in the Mildred Kleiss photo collection.)

 


F.J. Nirider home in Kinmundy

(R-5) This is the residence of Frank J. Nirider, who was born in Fort Wayne, Ind. in Oct. 1862.  Mr. Nirider was once an agent for the I.C. Railroad

and later a postmaster under Cleveland's administration.  He became owner of Nirider's Drug Store and was a registered pharmacist.  Sitting on the front porch

is his daughter, Georgia.  This house was located at  410 W 4th St., but was destroyed by fire on Jan. 24, 1918. 

(His daughter, Georgia Nirider, married Victor Bancroft)

 

 

F.J. Nirider home in Kinmundy

(R-97) F.J. Nirider residence (410 W 4th St.)

 

 

C.W. Witwer home in Kinmundy

(R-7) Residence of C.W. Witwer located at 617 E. 1st St.

 

(R-200) Residence of C.W. Witwer located at 617 E. 1st St.

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Schermerhorn

(R-8) A.V. Schermerhorn Residence located at 100 E. 5th St.

Allgenon V. Schermerhorn built this house in the early 1900's.  He owned fruit groves in Alma.  When he moved to Kinmundy, he bought a lumber business.

In 1905 he expanded to manufacturing cement building blocks.  A.V. sold his business in August 1907 and bought a lumber business in Ridgefarm,

Vermillion Co., Illinois.  This was the first family to live in the house (taken between 1902-1905) when family moved from farm to Kinmundy.

Left side in picture is A.V Schermerhorn, daughter May, son Ernest, wife Belle, and daughter Ruby, sitting are daughters Nellie and Grace.

(Oldest son Frank was not in photo.)   Leon and Amy Thurman own this two story dwelling in 2007.

 

 

Ellen (Doty) Schermerhorn and her daughter, Ellen

(R-149) Ellen (Doty) Schermerhorn and her daughter, Ellen, in front of the house, probably about 1900.

This was originally the house of Algernon Sidney Schermerhorn and Ellen Schermerhorn.

Then A.S. sold it to Isaiah and Sarah Dillon.  After Isaiah's death, Sarah and her daughter, Annie Dillon, lived in it. 

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois W.B. Ross Eno Zimmer

W.B. Ross home in Kinmundy

(R-9a) W.B. Ross residence at 209 W. 4th St..

Later this became the home of Eno Zimmer. (Arlene Zimmer Roberts built a new brick home on this lot.)

 

 

Eno Zimmer home in Kinmundy

(R-10) Eno Zimmer Residence located at 209 W. 4th St.  (Arlene Zimmer Roberts built a new brick home on this lot.)

(This was previously owned by W.B. Ross prior to the Zimmer family.)

 

 

Mrs. Gee home in Kinmundy

(R-11) Residence of Mrs. Gee (photo taken in 1907)

 

 

E.C. Bargh home in Kinmundy

(R-12) Residence of E.C. Bargh located on the southeast corner of 3rd and S. Washington St.).

This house was torn down and Bill Deadmond built a new home.

 

 

Kinmundy winter street scene

(RS-3) Winter scene on a Kinmundy street.

 

 

M.A. Songer home in Kinmundy

(R-14c) M.A. Songer residence at 305 E. 3rd Street.  (Possibly -  Lon French home later.)

 

 

M.A. Songer home in Kinmundy

(R-14b) M.A. Songer residence at 305 E. 3rd St.

 

 

M.A. Songer home in Kinmundy

(R-53) M.A. Songer residence (1914); Later the home of  Jack Nelson (jeweler); Mrs. Smith (Ruth Alexander’s mother)

 

          

(R-17h) Capt. Calendar Rohrbough residence built this house in about 1875.  He was a veteran of  the Civil War.  This house is located at 216 S. Washington St.

He settled in Kinmundy after his service where he successfully ran a mercantile business for 25 years.  Capt. Rohrbough was born Sept. 1, 1834 near the town

of Buchanon, Lewis Co., Virginia (now Upshur Co., West Va.), and died Sept. 11, 1909.   In this picture are Calendar Rohrbough and his wife,

Anna (Moore) Rohrbough.  The house was later owned by Fred O. Grissom.  In 2012, it is owned by Elwin & Louise Cheatum.   It is in the National Registry.

 

 

Capt. Rohrbough home in Kinmundy

(R-17c) Residence of Capt. Calandar Rohrbough with arch on fence.

From the Kinmundy Centennial book: "The F.O. Grissom home was originally the home of Capt. Calendar Rohrbough, and has been lived in by those

two families only.  Capt. Rohrbough came to Kinmundy with his family after he returned from the Civil War.  He built this house about 1877.  The lime

for the mortar was burned near Omega and presumably the bricks were made here, as there was a brickyard in Kinmundy in the early days.

Capt. Rohrbough died in 1909, and was buried from the Methodist Church across the street, whose new building he had lived to see completed.

After Mrs. Rohrbough's death, Mr. Grissom acquired it from the estate about 1923, and has lived there ever since.  It has been modernized

and remodeled but looks much the same.  Mr. Grissom formerly edited "The Kinmundy Express" and is now Mayor of the town.  Mrs. Grissom teaches

voice and is directing the chorus for the Centennial."

 

Capt. Rohrbough home in Kinmundy

(R-17g) Capt. Calandar Rohrbough, which is the current home of Elwyn and Louise Cheatum.

This home was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.  The home was built by Civil War Captain Calendar Rohrbough in 1875.

In 1925, the home was bought by Mr. Fred Grissom.  In 1975, the home was purchased by Elwyn and Louise Cheaum.

 

 

(R-36b) Residence of C.B. "Charlie"  Rohrbough (corner of E. 3rd and Porter streets.)    He was a brother to Calendar Rohrbough.

(This house burned.  It was located east of the Elwyn Cheatum house.)

 

 

R.P. McBryde home in Kinmundy

(R-19b) This three story house was built by Richard P. McBryde in 1896 at an original cost of $1800.  Mr. McBryde was the owner of a small private bank,

but went with the First National Bank when it was organized Feb. 19, 1902.  He served on the Board of Directors from 1902-1921.  R.P. died Jan. 20, 1940,

and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery.  The house is located at 111 N. Madison., and was later owned by Walter Pruett, and then, Floyd and Helen Garrett.

It is currently owned by Benny and Marolyn Webster.

 

 

(R-202) Richard P. McBryde home picture of interior. 

This was a postcard, and written on the back was "Compliments of Mr. and Mrs. R.P. McBryde.  Thimble Club - Halloween 1911".

The house is located at 111 N. Madison., and was later owned by Walter Pruett, and then, Floyd and Helen Garrett.

It is currently owned by Benny and Marolyn Webster.

 

 

Charles F. Pruett home in Kinmundy

(R-105b) (1st of 2 photos.)  Photo taken on May 23, 1908. Residence of Charles F. Pruett.

This was located in the 200 block of West 3rd St. on the north side.   He was once the Mayor of Kinmundy.

West of the A.H. Miller home, it was also owned by Hattie Cockrell.

This residence was torn down, and is now the Zink Apartments.

 

 

(R-21b) (2nd of 2 photos.) Charles F. Pruett home.  This was located in the 200 block of West 3rd St. on the north side.  

He was once the Mayor of Kinmundy.  West of the A.H. Miller home, it was also owned by Hattie Cockrell.

This residence was torn down, and is now the Zink Apartments.

 

(R-22)  (1st of 2 photos.) W.W. Lowe residence located on the corner of Adam & E. Sycamore St.  It was across from the old Miller place.

(It burned down)

 

 

W.W. Lowe home in Kinmundy

(R-98b)  (2nd of 2 photos.) W.W. Lowe residence located on the corner of Adam & E. Sycamore St.  It was across from the old Miller place.

(It burned down)

 

 

(R-198)  The Central Hotel [insert] was bought by Leander Carl Matthews which he then remodeled in 1899 to make it a home for his family.

Mr. Matthews was involved in the mining industry and had a seed and implement business.  He also served as mayor.  Seated from L to R

on the Matthews porch: Leander, wife Samantha Elizabeth, son Carl, and daughter Hulda.  In 2007, this grand home is owned by Nancy Reckling.

 

 

L.C. Matthews home in Kinmundy'

(R-23) Leander C. Matthews residence located at 201 S. Monroe St.  Other owners were the Dunlap family, and the Elston family before it's

purchase by Nancy Reckling.

 

 

(R-25b) Residence of E.W. Wormley located at 100 E. 5th St.  This is on the northeast corner of S. Madison and 5th street.

(It is across from the middle school.)

 

G.W. Newell home in Kinmundy

(R-70b) Residence of G.W. Newell

 

 

G.W. Newell home in Kinmundy

(R-70a) Residence of Geo. Newell – baby is Kathryn Wormley.   Later this was the home of Frank Jones, and the Cliff & Nora Olden home in Sept. 1982.                 

 

J.F. Howell home in Kinmundy

(R-26b) J.F. Howell residence at 311 N. Lincoln St.

These were the grandparents of E.E. Brown.  It was once home to the Whittenbergs.

(This house is now gone, and Carl Crain built a house on this location.)

 

 

 (R-27c) J.F. Howell barn.  This was located behind the house, and is now gone.

 

 

W.S. Conant home in Kinmundy

(R-29) Residence of W.S. Conant at 700 E. 1st St. 

(This home has been torn down.  Burdette Maxey built a house there, which John Heicker later purchased.)

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois W.S. Conant home

(R-102) Residence of W.S. Conant at 700 E. 1st St. 

(This home has been torn down.  Burdette Maxey built a house there, which John Heicker later purchased.)

 

 

(R-200) Madison Street in Kinmundy

 

 

(R-201) Looking south from the Methodist Episcopal Church in Kinmundy

 


 Site and contents copyright 2006-2014 - Kinmundy Historical Society (Kinmundy, Illinois) - a nonprofit organization.

(Information and photos on this site are not to be used for any commercial purpose.  It is free for the enjoyment and research of community and family information.)