Kinmundy Businesses (1800's - early 1900's)

                       Kinmundy, Marion Co., Illinois

 

                (Note: Since there are so many images, these have been divided up into several books for the website. 

      Remember that you can also use CTRL-F to find a particular surname within these pictures when you are on the page.) 

 


 

       

   We are looking for photos of people and/or places from around Kinmundy & Alma.  Can you help?

Or maybe you have stories or memories from the "Good Old Days"?  What do YOU remember?

        The Kinmundy Historical Society would be honored to preserve your memories and stories.  We also have the

equipment to scan (or copy) your photos so that they may be enjoyed now as well as for generations yet to come!

        We would love to hear from you!  For more information, please contact: 

       

   Dolores (Ford) Mobley – Dolores@ford-mobley.com

                       208 Joan Dr.; Divernon, IL  62530; (217) 625-7527

            or

           

            Gladys (Corrie) See – gsee49@yahoo.com

                                         408 S. Washington St.; Kinmundy, IL 62854; (618) 547-7731

 


 

                                                Click to return to 

 


 

Kinmundy Illinois plat

(B-8) Plat of Kinmundy - probably around 1895-1900.  Kinmundy was platted in 1857, and incorporated in 1867.

(Info. from “Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

Kinmundy Illinois photo by 1877 by O.N. Tyner

(B-1a) "Thomas Bagott’s store, which he started after working for D.C. Moore, an early Kinmundy merchant.

They both came from Cincinnati.  The store is about where the Mahan & Motch Store was in 1957."

(Info. from “Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

Kinmundy Tyner

(B-1b)   The businesses shown on this street scene of Kinmundy included that of Thos. Bagott,

and in the 2nd floor above that, the studio of the long-time local photographer, O.N. Tyner.

According to an article in "The Kinmundy Express" on Jan. 11, 1923, O.N. Tyner opened his store in Kinmundy in 1877. 

He had a photography studio and also sold musical instruments, as an article was published in a national magazine

in celebration of his 80th birthday.

(The "1860" written in the corner is incorrect and should be 1877.)

 

Kinmundy Tyner

(B-1c) A close up of the street scene of the Bagott and Tyner stores in 1877, photographed by O.N. Tyner.

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois photo by 1877 by O.N. Tyner

(B-2a) Old Wetter building located on the northeast corner of Madison and 2nd streets.  This photo was taken by O.N. Tyner in 1877.

 

Kinmundy.

(B-2b) Close up photo of the old Wetter building located on the northeast corner of Madison and 2nd streets.

 

Kinmundy

(B-5b) Corner of Monroe St. looking east.  On right a residence, Dr's office, Fire House, Opera House first floor, Grocery store, and Gramley's Jewelry store


 

Kinmundy

(B-5b) Corner of Monroe St. looking east.  On right a residence, Dr's office, Fire House, Opera House first floor, Grocery store, and Gramley's Jewelry store

(Close up)

 

 

(B-157) West Livery & Feed Stable on left of street.  

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois photo by 1877 by O.N. Tyner Squires House

(B-7a)  Squier’s House – Kinmundy, Ill. 1877 - Photo by O.N. Tyner

 

Kinmundy Squiers House

(B-7b) Closeup of Squier's House.  William Chittenden Squier was the proprietor of this Hotel.

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Squier's House

(B-67) Squier's House located at the 300 block of S. Jefferson St..  This very popular and modern hotel was located close to the Depot.

(There were once three hotels in Kinmundy.)

 

 

Kinmundy Tyner

(B-69) Street scene in Kinmundy by O.N. Tyner with board walks.

(Elwyn Cheatum believes this is a scene east of the Methodist Church and railroad on the north side, which would be near the Tyner home.)

 

 

Kinmundy

(B-72) Possibly northeast corner of 2nd and Monroe Streets?

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois street scene

(B-89) Ellis Wolfe's business can be seen to the right.  He opened a hardware store at this time, and then sold it in 1918.

The business of Ener O. Zimmer can be seen down the street. 

E.O. Zimmer, Refreshing Drinks, Candies, Tobaccos, Eats.  Zimmer's Cafe was established in 1927

 

GRISSOM’s Hardware, Everything in Hardware: GRISSOM’s Hardware Store was established by Mr. Ellis WOLFE several years ago. In 1918 he sold it to Mr. H.P. BRICKWOOD, who came here from Wisconsin. Mr. BRICKWOOD sold it in 1920 to Mr. J.S. EVANS, who hailed from Mt. Vernon, Ind. Mr. EVANS sold it in 1921 to Mr. F.O. GRISSOM. Since Mr. GRISSOM came into ownership of it, he has built up the stock and added many lines until now Kinmundy can boast 1 of the best hardware stores in Southern Illinois. Fred O., son of John W. and Maria J. PARRILL GRISSOM, was born in Meacham twp., March 9, 1876. On Jan. 19, 1899 he married Miss Jennie A. BASCOM of Farina. He came to Kinmundy from Farina on Aug. 23, 1898 where he purchased The Kinmundy Express. He owned the publication for 18 years. He was appointed postmaster in 1914 and served in that capacity for 9 years. After leaving the post office, he traveled around in many states looking for another newspaper, but finally decided to go into the hardware business here. Fred has been very faithful to the Democratic party and he has again been recompensed by being appointed post master. This occurred on Aug. 23, 1933, the anniversary of his coming to Kinmundy. He is an active member of the Kinmundy Chamber of Commerce. Fred is a very congenial fellow. His store remains open every evening, not so much from a business standpoint, but more as a meeting place for his friends. In this store, many a political battle is fourth, many a poor quail is killed, or an innocent bass is hooked and gets away, wild goose stories are told, family trees are discussed, the history of our town repeated, and many a yarn is spun. Mr. GRISSOM has always advocated the slogan, "Trade at home. Spend your money where you make it."  ("The Kinmundy Express" 50th anniversary edition - Nov. 9, 1933)

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-90) The Circus coming north on Monroe from 4th after unloading at C. & E.I. railroad.

Background shows old Cooperage Building.

(“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-91) "Leander Matthews pays off an election bet by wheeling Dr. Gause around the block when Bryan was defeated in 1896."

(“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

(B-20) Business District of Kinmundy taken from I.C. Depot water tower (looking northwest).  In the center of the picture, 3rd street and West St. meet.

In foreground, all wooden structures burned in 1938 or 1939.  Brick structure to far left burned in 1915 or 1916 (west of building -one on corner - was a

bank, and later Elwyn Cheatum business).  The "Saloon" was once Doolen's Appliance Store, Phyllis See's Beauty Shop,

and now where the Penacostal Church sits.

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-85) Birds-eye View of Business District of Kinmundy along Third Street.  Madison Street is on the block of the banner strung across.

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-86)  Birds-eye View of Business District of Kinmundy along Third Street. 

 

 

Business District Kinmundy Illinois

(B-56) Civil War Veterans Building and the alley east of the 200 block of South Madison St.

"The Kinmundy Express" - May 30, 1940.

"This building was one of the very first buildings built in the business district. As near as we can trace it's history, it was built in the early 1860's, and for

the past 50 years, has been considered a fire hazard, but it has seen some mighty fine brick buildings destroyed by fire across the street." 

 

 

Business District Kinmundy Illinois

(B-57) Third Street with Madison Street in the center of the picture.  Photo taken on Oct. 8, 1907.   

 

Business District Kinmundy Illinois

(B-58) Third Street with Madison Street in the center of the picture.  Photo taken on Oct. 8, 1907.   

 

Kinmundy Illinois Third Street

(B-31a)  Downtown Kinmundy (100 block of West 3rd St.).  Looking west on 3rd St. from corner of Madison & 3rd.

On right is the old bank, with the Law Office upstairs.  This was next to the Haworth Opera House on the second floor which was above a grocery store,

Doctor's office and a Jewelry store.  

On far left is Pruett's Feed Store.    

(B-31dd)  Downtown Kinmundy (100 block of West 3rd St.).  Looking west on 3rd St. from corner of Madison & 3rd.

 

F.A. PRUETT and Sons, General Produce: The firm of F.A. PRUETT was founded in 1892 by the late Francis Asbury PRUETT. The business at this time consisted chiefly of buying eggs, poultry and fruit from the farmers and in turn, shipping the produce to the Chicago market via express. In the year 1902, Mr. PRUETT took his son, Charles, in as a partner, changing the firm name to F.A. PRUETT & Son. They began buying produce in larger quantities and shipping in carload lots, not only to the Chicago market, but to the New York and other eastern markets as well. They also made express shipments to these markets. In 1907, another son, Walter, was added to the firm and the firm name again changed to F.A. PRUETT & Sons. With a new member in the firm, there was room for expansion and so branch houses were established at Vernon, Farina, Tamaroa and Herrick. In later years, the houses at Herrick and Farina have been abolished and new branches set up at Centralia and Carlyle. Their specialty for the past several years has been eggs. Their business has gradually been worked up to such an extent that they are no longer forced to sell on the open market, but have customers in the east. Their peak season was in 1929 when they handled 300 carloads of eggs. This meant a turnover of more than 1 million dollars. They now have their own leased refrigerator cars with the firm name adorning the sides. Mr. F.A. PRUETT died in 1917 leaving Charles and Walter to carry on the business. In late years the jobbing of flour, feed, sugar, salt, potatoes and many other articles have been added. With the coming of the hard road, many trucks have been added to their equipment. These 2 boys, Charles Fuqua and Walter Simpson, sons of Frank Asbury and Sally FUQUA PRUETT, were born in Kinmundy Dec. 31, 1878 and Nov. 23, 1883, respectively. Both grew to manhood here and graduated from the local high school. Charles graduated from the Southern Illinois Normal University in 1899. He taught school 1 term and then went to Chicago, where he was employed by a Commission firm on South Water Street. 2 years later, his father became ill and sent for him to come home to conduct the business and he has remained here ever since. On Nov. 6, 1902, he married Miss Estella M. DOOLEN of Kinmundy. They have 4 children: Francis, Dorothy, Charles and Frederic. Charles is a member of the Masonic and Eastern Star, the M.E. Church, and is president of the Board of Trustees, and for the past 16 years been superintendent of the Sunday School; a past president of the Illinois Poultry and Egg Association; President of the First National Bank of Kinmundy; President of the Building and Loan Assoc.; and past president of the Chamber of Commerce. Walter graduated from a business school in Dixon, Ill, and immediately went into business with his father and brother. On Sept. 28, 1910, he married Miss Bertha W. STEUBER of Kinmundy, and they have 3 children: Walter B., Carl E., and Helen M. Walter is a member of the Masonic and Eastern Star; the M.E. Church and at present a member of the Board of Trustees; the Illinois Poultry and Egg Association; a member of the Board of Directors of both the First National Bank and the Kinmundy Building and Loan Association; is at present President of the Board of Education; and past president of the Kinmundy Chamber of Commerce. ("The Kinmundy Express" 50th anniversary edition - Nov. 9, 1933)                               

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Gramley

(B-55) Corner of Monroe Street looking east. 

On right is a residence; 2nd building - Dr.'s office; 3rd building - Fire House; Opera House first floor, Grocery store, and Gramley's Jewelry Store.

 

 

Kinmundy Fire

(B-95) Kinmundy Fire Engine just pulled out of the fire house located on West 3rd St. (100 block on the north side of the street.

(“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-124)  "Corner of 3rd and Monroe, looking east from the Wetter corner where there was once an Air-dome (open air movie).  Pruett's Poultry house just misses 

being in the picture.  The first four buildings are still there but the Opera House with Gramley's Meat Market, Dr. Camerer's office, Rice's Store, and others are gone."

(“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-84b) Sales Day in Kinmundy, Illinois.  Looking west down 3rd street at Madison St.   (Photographer is standing near site of bandstand to take the photo.)

 

“The Kinmundy Express” – Aug. 10, 1972 -  “Again this week, we are giving you another ‘shot’ of the old Opera House which we mentioned six weeks ago.  In this picture, you will again note some of the same buildings contained in the other picture, namely, the Elder Building housing, the First National Bank, Nelson’s Jewelry Store, and Earl HUGGINS’ Law Office.  Then the next building is the Oddfellows Hall and Gray’s Opera House.  Under the Oddfellows Hall was a room for a store.  Under the Opera House were three rooms, two smaller and one larger.  The smaller rooms were occupied by a newsstand and Dr. J.D. CAMERER’s office.  The larger room contained a moving picture theater.  This structure burned in January, 1916.  The next building, a store building, still stands and is now occupied by the City as its City Hall.  Next was the concrete block building, the City Hall, Fire House, and City Jail.  Then comes the small frame building known as Dr. SMITH’s office.  And then the residence of the late Mrs. Rachel LEMAY. 

            In the left foreground can be seen the old fire bell.  It had a sound of its own and summoned the volunteers to help put out fires.  Incidentally, at the time of the burning of the opera house, the city had an old ‘hand-pumper’ .  So not many buildings were saved if the fire had a good start.

            The occasion for this picture was a Sales Day in Kinmundy.  In other words, it was a ‘community sale’.  The building to the extreme left was occupied by TELFORD & WILKINSON in the implement business.  It stood where our post office now stands.”

 

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Madison Street

(B-46a) Madison Street scene taken Sept. 28, 1907.   Looking north from about where the water plant currently stands.  You can see the fire bell to the right

in the foreground.  It was circled by a fence with hay inside where horses could be tied up while in town.  On left in foreground, is a place to weigh grain.

H.J. Jones' horse and buggy can be seen on Madison St.

 

T.M. Smith Livery Kinmundy Illinois

(B-63)  T.M Smith Hay, Grain, and Livery - Fish Bros. Wagon Co. - Racine, Wisconsin. 

This was located on the northwest corner of S. Madison and 2nd Streets. “T.M. Smith’s livery stable in the days when you could rent a horse and buggy instead of an automobile. The calaboose is to the left with the cooper shop behind.”

            (“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

This was located where the City Water Plant now stands (in 2012).

T.M. SMITH, Hay, Grain, Feeds, Coal, and Implements: Thomas M. SMITH, son of Charles and Martha SMITH, was born Jan. 12, 1858 in Meacham twp., on the farm now owned by Mr. J.W. WHITTENBURG. He came to the city of Kinmundy in 1884 and purchased the Livery Stable of Henry SIMPSON. In connection with this business, he bought stock, hay and grain. In 1888 he sold the Livery Stable, but retained his stock, hay and grain business. In 1898 he again established a Livery Stable in connection with his other business. From time to time, he added other items such as implements, coal, harness, fencing, etc., also the buying of the wool and red top seed. After leaving his father’s household, he wandered west, where he herded cattle in Kansas and Oklahoma. It was this kind of work that inspired him to become a stock buyer in after years. After following this occupation for 2 years, he came back to Illinois and started farming. He married Miss Dosh BORING of Tonti on Oct. 21, 1880. She died Nov. 11, 1894. On Feb. 20, 1908 he married Miss Bessie L. KING of this city. He has 3 children: Minnie, Mattie, and Georgia. He is a member of the M.E. Church and the Woodman and I.O.O.F. Lodge. He is a member of the City Council, and has in the past been Supervisor, Twp. Treasurer, and a member of the school board. He has been in business in Kinmundy longer than any other firm. Mr. SMITH has been handicapped in his business several times, but that did not seem to hold him back. In 1904, he lost his place of business by fire, then a few years later received a broken hip. A few years later he underwent a major operation with little hope of recovery, then a year ago he had his arm broken while at the St. Louis Stock Yards buying horses.   ("The Kinmundy Express" 50th anniversary edition - Nov. 9, 1933)

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Madison Street

(B-10a) Corner of Madison and 2nd street (100 block of S. Madison St.) looking north.

Left side (where the bank now sits) had a livery stable on the west side.

The right side of the street, you'll see "Miner Bros.- Implements, Buggies and Wagons" and "Schermerhorn - Lumber and Building Materials"

                          

 

Kinmundy Illinois Madison Street

(B-35) Downtown Kinmundy at 200 block of South Madison St., looking north.  Taken in 1913.

 

 

Kinmundy Madison

(B-45c) Madison Street.  A street light is shown in center of picture.

(According to Elwyn Cheatum, Kinmundy had electricity by 1890 with our own light plant, which was used during certain hours.)

 

(B-45aa) Madison Street.  A street light is shown in center of picture.

(According to Elwyn Cheatum, Kinmundy had electricity by 1890 with our own light plant, which was used during certain hours.)

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Madison Street

(B-34a) Downtown Kinmundy at corner of Madison and 3rd streets looking north.  Photo taken in 1913.

“The streets were worse in those days and the bank wasn’t nearly so elegant, but we had a bank on each corner then.”

(“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

 

 

(B-36b) Corner of Madison Street and 3rd St, on the west side.  The corner housed the First National Bank, next M.A.Songer (the business was owned

by the daughter of the owner of Songer Flour Mill.)

 

 

 

(B-37) Looking north at the 200 block of S. Madison.  Flyers are posted thru town that day for a Gollmar Bros. Show to be held Aug. 17. 

On the left side of the street, you can find the Osborn clothing store.

The "Lemp Brewery building" can be seen on the right side of the picture where St. Louis beer was offered.  (The Lemp Brewery in St. Louis eventually

became the Falstaff Brewing Corp. in St. Louis.)   Miner Bros. can be seen further down the right side of the street too.

(Note: According to the "Sesquicentennial of Marion Co., IL (1823 - 1973) in the Kinmundy section:

       "From the first, there was a battle between the temperance group and those who favored saloons.  We have handbills advertising huge temperance  meetings

         sponsored by Royal Templars of Temperance, and one time, a lady took her hatchet, like Carrie Nation, and went down and wrecked a saloon.  There

        was an attempt every year to vote the town dry, but it didn't really make it until about 1908, and since then liquor licenses have not been issued.")

 

 

 

(B-38) This was a Saturday afternoon before the first war.  Jennie Phillips sits in front of their store, one of the Lowe boys is in the group in front

of their store, and it looks like Bob Flanagan, the policeman, with the star on his vest in front of W.W. Neil’s.  Others are not identified.

(“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

This was in the 200 block of South Madison right after the alley on the west side of the street, facing north. 

The first building is a movie theater.

The second building's sign "Furniture, Carpet, Wall Paper, Stoves)

The third building had a sign "Frank Nelms Dry Goods, Shoes.

In the right center of the picture, a boy is leaning on a pump.

 

 

Tomlinson Witwer Robnett Laswell Williams Cockrell Songer Kinmundy Illinois

(B-39)

“Below, George Tomlinson, standing, Chas. Witwer and Noah Robnett seated, next one not identified, Doc Laswell, and someone sit on his doorstep,

and Bert Williams sits with Clabe Cockrell in front of Rohrboughs store, farther down Miss Mollie Songers, and then the bank. 

Other people are not identified.”  (“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

This was south half of Madison Street (200 block of South Madison right after the alley on the west side of the street). 

The first building was that of George P. Tomlinson (Hardware and Stoves.  (This is where the Kinmundy Food Pantry is located in 2011).

J.L. Laswell, the dentist, could be found thru the door upstairs.

Next was W.W. Lowe Hardware Store. Then M.A. Songer's, and last on the block was the First National Bank.

 

C.B. ROHRBOUGH, Gents’ Furnishings and Shoes: The name of ROHRBOUGH has long been known in the business world of Kinmundy, even before Charles B. ROHRBOUGH, the business man of today, was born, and always the name has stood for high ideals and honest dealings. Charles B. ROHRBOUGH is a native of Kinmundy, having been born here Sept. 1, 1866. His father, Calendar ROHRBOUGH, a West Virginian by birth, and mother, Anna MOORE ROHRBOUGH, from Carthage, Ill. were refined, cultured people. Mr. ROHRBOUGH is a graduate of Gem City Business College, of Quincy, Ill. with the class of 1888. Before entering into business for himself he clerked in Miss M.A. SONGER’s dry goods store 11 years. In 1901 he went into business for himself, opening a store in the building in which the last State Bank did business, and dealt in shoes and gents furnishings. His business was so lucrative he soon built the commodious building, where he now is, and added dry goods and women’s ready-to-wear garments. Later in an adjoining building, he added groceries. He had by far the largest stock of goods and the most modern equipment ever brought to Kinmundy, at one time carrying a $60,000 stock. At present, Mr. ROHRBOUGH is only handling shoes and gents furnishings, having sold his dry goods and groceries. He has been Republican Committeeman for 20 years; President of the School Board for 12 years, at the time the new building was erected, also the Gym; Building and Loan Director for 26 years and its Vice President for a number of years; member of the Chamber of Commerce; distributor for the Red Cross. He is a Mason of long standing, an A.F. & A.M. and Knight Templar. Mr. ROHRBOUGH and Miss Annie G. WATSON of Fairmont, West Virginia, were married Sept. 5, 1899. Their daughters are Misses Ruth and Virginia. ("The Kinmundy Express" 50th anniversary edition - Nov. 9, 1933)

Hanger from Chas. B. Rohrbough Clothing Store

 

(B-48) A crowd gathers on the corner of Third and Madison (picture is facing north).

(Elwyn Cheatum believes that the Governor of Illinois was making a speech in Salem.  He road south on the Illinois Central and had to transfer in Kinmundy

to the C. & E.I. to get to Salem.)

 

(On Dec. 12, 1907, the following article was published in "The Kinmundy Express":

"The Governor Here: Last Tuesday, Governor Chas. DENEEN, his private secretary, Mr. McINTYRE, Hon. J.J. BROWN, candidate for Sec. of State and Roy WEST, chairman of Republican State Committee, arrived in this city at 4:48 p.m. and were marched to Gray’s opera house where the local republicans had arranged a reception for the party. After a song by the High School Quartet, Gov. DENEEN was introduced tot he crowd and he talked for about 20 minutes and the address was well received by the crowd. After his address Hon. J.J. BROWN made a few brief remarks. The party were enroute to Salem and were transferring to the C. & E.I. and the Republicans here took advantage of this opportunity to pay a tribute of respect to our highest state official. The opera house was well filled and the party were given a very welcome reception. They left on the six o’clock train for Salem where a meeting was held that night and a number of our people accompanied them to that place."

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-33a) Downtown Kinmundy looking south on Madison Street.  (Picture was possibly taken on Aug. 22, 1906 - First Labor Day Parade - 1905)

 

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Perry Lewellen and Co

(B-128) Perry Lewellen and Co. - Notions and Groceries

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-127) Downtown Kinmundy

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois J.O. Cox Restaurant

(B-49) J.O. Cox Restaurant which was located on the east side of the 200 block of South Madison Street.  This later became the Post Office.

 

 

 

(B-50) Kinmundy residents in front of "Frank Nelms Dry Goods & Shoes" Store, and the "W.W. Lowe - Groceries, Dry Goods and Notions (opened in 1901)

(In Aug. 1906, Arthur Osborn bought out the Frank Nelms stock of merchandise, so the photo was probably taken right before that date.)

NELMS Brothers, Groceries, Shoes, Notions: The firm of NELMS Brothers was established in Kinmundy on Feb. 28, 1931. Frank E. coming here from Centralia, Ill. and Maurice B. from Everett, Wash. Although a late firm, the NELMS Brothers have been known here all of their lives. Their store is Cash and Carry, the first year dealing exclusively in groceries, later adding shoes, notions and gents furnishings. Since the establishment of this firm, they have never missed a week advertising in this paper. The senior member of the firm, Frank E., was born in Effingham Co., July 29, 1870, coming to Kinmundy that same year. His parents were John T. and Emma WINTERROWD NELMS. He received his education in the Kinmundy Schools, and began his business career as a clerk, first in the store of Myron M. DIEWERT, and later, that of the late John W. WILSON. For 18 years, he was in business for himself, in Kinmundy, carrying general stock - dry goods and groceries. After closing out his store here, he became a traveling salesman for WITWER-TATE, now GOODALE-PUFFER Grocery Co., of Centralia. He travelled for these firms for 18 years, retiring Jan. 1 of this year to devote his time to his business. Mr. NELMS is a lover and music, and nothing pleases him more than to take his guitar, and not only please his friends of the town with his music and songs but roam the county o’er and take part in school and church and social entertainments, where he is always received with great applause. The lure of fish in the spring is more than he can withstand, and the call of the quail and prairie chicken is music to his ears. He is the champion mushroom hunter of the community. He belongs to Modern Woodmen, and to the Kinmundy Chamber of Commerce. The Junior member of the firm, Maurice B., was born in Kinmundy Sept. 23, 1883. He received his education in the Kinmundy schools, and like his brother, began his business career as a clerk. His first position was with E.C. BARGH. Later he clerked for his brother, Frank, for John SWANDER, and for C.B. ROHRBOUGH. He embarked in business for himself in Hindsboro, Ill. in 1910, and was in business there for 17 years. Later he and his family moved to Everett, Wash., but after 2 years as a shoe salesman there, they came back to Illinois. Mr. NELMS married Miss Alma LASWELL of Farina, in Dec. 1904. Their 3 children are: Mrs. Armelda CUPPY of Chicago; Mrs. Maurine McLAIN of Everett, Wash.; and Mrs. Pauline MORRIS of Kinmundy. He belongs to the Modern Woodman and to the Chamber of Commerce. He has the same inclinations as his brother when it comes to fishing. With pipe in mouth and pole in hand, he can sit for hours watching for a nibble. ("The Kinmundy Express" 50th anniversary edition - Nov. 9, 1933)

W.W. LOWE, Groceries, Dry Goods and Notions: On the window of this firm is the sign, "W.W. LOWE - Everything", and "everything" is right. Dry goods, groceries, cured meats, notions, gents’ furnishings, light hardware, window shades, umbrellas, china ware, fruits, vegetables, and in fact, everything, are to be found in this store. The firm of W.W. LOWE was established in February, 1901. It succeeded the firm of (J.T.) ARNOLD & LOWE, who purchased the store in October, 1900, from C.H. HIGBEE. William Warren, son of Samuel T. and Margaret ARNOLD LOWE, was born Nov. 6, 1862, in Foster twp., where he grew to manhood. On May 7, 1885, he was married to Miss Minnie O. HEADLEY, also of Foster twp. They have 4 sons, James O., Edward R., W. Webster, and Gordon M. Mr. LOWE followed the occupation of farming until 1899 when he moved to this city. He soon became a clerk for M.A. SONGER. In October 1900, he formed a partnership with Mr. J.T. ARNOLD and they purchased the store from Mr. C.H. HIGBEE. In February 1901, he purchased Mr. ARNOLD’s interest and then, as he says, ‘laid awake for many nights wondering how he was going to meet his bills.’ Because of his genial disposition and courtesy, his honest upright dealings with every one, through the succeeding years, his business has steadily increased. To be met by Mr. LOWE in his store, one feels there is a personal interest in his customers as well as a business one. He has been director in the Kinmundy Building and Loan Association for 32 years, and treasurer for 10 years; a director of the First National Bank; and member of the Chamber of Commerce. He belongs to the Modern Woodman, and has been a Mason for 42 years, the Methodist Episcopal church from his early youth, the Board of Trustees, a Steward, and officer of the Sunday School. ("The Kinmundy Express" 50th anniversary edition - Nov. 9, 1933)

 

Kinmundy Illinois Post Office

(B-51) U.S. Post Office - Kinmundy, Illinois.  This building was located in the 200 block of S. Madison St, on the east side of the street.) 

This picture was taken May 10, 1910.    There was also a studio upstairs (possibly a photographer.)

The gentleman in this photo is Fred Grissom.  One of the ladies is Melva Vallow.  The cart on the left brought mail from the I.C. Depot.

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Otis Charlton

(B-66)  R.F.D. Mail carrier Otis Charlton.  The date on the back of the picture was Nov. 20, 1907. 

The message said "Compliments of R.F.D. Carrier A. Otis Charlton."

 

Kinmundy Illinois postcard

(B-59) Mail carriers - Aug. 24, 1908 Postmark.  This alley is east of S. Madison St. behind the post office (200 block). 

Building on the right is the I.C. Freight House.

 

 

Spencer Kinmundy Mail Carrier

(B-149) Kinmundy Mail Carrier - William "Dick" Spencer

 

(B-155) William "Dick" Spencer - Kinmundy mail carrier - 1917

 

 

Kinmundy mail Lon French

(B-44) Alonzo "Lon" French, mail carrier.  He was married to Lucy Young, and son of Charles B. French. 

 

 

                                                                      T

Kinmundy Illinois Third Street

(B-30a) Hayworth Opera House (100 block of W. 3rd St.) on second floor, burned and was rebuilt after fire of 1902.  The name "Gray" is on the building. 

Looking east, next building was the old bank, and it was rebuilt in 1906.

this is on 3rd Street looking east – M.P.Gramley Meat Market, Gray’s Opera House, N.A. Rice Groceries. 

(These buildings were on the site of what is now the Lions Community Center.)

 

 

(B-30e) Hayworth Opera House (100 block of W. 3rd St) looking east -1925

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Madison Third

(B-78) Madison Street looking north.

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Madison Third Mollie's Rohrboughs

(B-98) "The watering trough in the center of the square, Madison and Third Streets.  Nelson's Jewelry, the First National Bank, Miss Mollie's

Rohrbough's and the Masonic Temple."  (“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Third and Madison Street

(B-53) Northwest corner of Madison and Third Streets.  This was the new First National Bank building.  The next building to the north is M.A. Songer Millinary store. 

 

“The Kinmundy Express” – June 29, 1972 -  “The above building is very familiar as it is still occupied by the First National Bank, however, it has been remodeled some since this picture was taken in 1909.

            The building with the M.A. SONGER sign is now occupied by Schwabe’s Discount Store.  On the extreme right you will note the corner of the ROHRBOUGH building now occupied by DEADMOND TV & Appliance.

            You will also note immediately in front of the bank, an iron pipe railing to keep one from falling down a stairway which led to John GARNER’s Barber Shop under the bank.  The barber pole sets on the sidewalk by the railing.  The railing was covered with a “saw tooth” grill, to keep the boys from sitting on top of it, for fear some lad might tumble off the railing backwards down the stairs.

            Above the bank (with windows open) was the E.C. HUGGINS Law Office.   The building contains a large hall to the right of the law offices.  To the left of the law office, are more office rooms.

            On the extreme left of the Bank Building, you will note another door and in front on the sidewalk is a large clock suspended from a hooked pole.  This was the jewelry store of Jacob NELSON.

            The next building was the Opera House building which was burned out in 1916.  Although it was known as GRAY’s Opera House, one-fourth of the building to the extreme right, was owned by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, occupied as their meeting hall, and immediately under it, was a grocery store.  (Note the hitch posts in front.)

            Next can be seen the building which is now the City Hall and then the old City Hall, next a wooden office building recently razed, the now Mrs. Alf LEMAY home with a faint outline of the Christian Church in the background.

            By the aid of a spy-glass, you might be able to recognize some of the men in the picture.  We think we have identified the six gentlemen on the right, and say they are (from left to right) Frank NELMS, standing; John GARNER and Wallace T. HULTS, leaning against the railing; David BEAVER and William HAMMERS, sitting; and William MAXEY, on the crosswalk.  Just in case you would like the location of this building, it is the corner of Madison and Third Streets."

The First National Bank, Kinmundy, Ill.: Organized in Feb. 19, 1902. The first Board of Directors were: Calendar ROHRBOUGH, Richard P. McBRYDE, Michael B. BAKER, William H. WHITE, John W. VICKERY, Jacob NELSON, Alexander MILLICAN, B.W. BLAKESLEE, John J. BROWN. The first Officers and Clerical Forces: Calendar ROHRBOUGH, President; John W. VICKERY, Vice President; R.P. McBRYDE, Cashier; L.C. ROHRBOUGH, Bookkeeper. Calender ROHRBOUGH, served as President for 5 years, and was assisted by J.W. VICKERY as Vice President, who was succeeded by W.H. WHITE. Calendar ROHRBOUGH, President, was succeeded by F.A. PRUETT, and assisted by Hugo MILLER as Vice President. F.A. PRUETT, President, was succeeded by A.W. SONGER, and assisted by Wm. MORRIS as Vice President. A.W. SONGER, President was succeeded by Jacob NELSON and assisted by first Vice President, William MORRIS, and W.H. GRAY, second Vice President. Wm. MORRIS first Vice President was succeeded by Chas. F. PRUETT and W.H. GRAY, by R.C. ROBB as second Vice President. Jacob NELSON, President, was succeeded by Chas. F. PRUETT, and succeeded by Jacob NELSON, first Vice President, and R.C. ROBB, second Vice President; Jacob NELSON, first Vice President was succeeded by R.C. ROBB, and R.C. ROBB, second Vice President was succeeded by W.W. LOWE, who fill their respective chairs at the present time. R.P. McBRYDE served in the capacity as Cashier since the organization of the Bank until 1931, and was succeeded by C.R. ALDERSON, who has served to the present date. Men, who have served on the Board of Directors and their respective period of time:  Calendar ROHRBOUGH (1902-06); R.P. McBRYDE (1902-21); J.W. VICKERY (1902-06); B.W. BLAKESLEE (1902-07); Jacob NELSON (1902-24); John J. BROWN (1902-05); Wm. H. WHITE (1902-04); Alexander MILLICAN (1902-04); M.B. BAKER (1902-04); W.T. WILKINSON (1904-05); W.H. WHITE (1905-06); Hugo MILLER (1905-07); F.A. PRUETT (1905-17); L.M. KAGY (1905-07); Benjamin GARRETT (1905-07); A.W. SONGER (1907-19); August BERCHELT (1907 - ); J.F. HOWELL (1907-17); Wm. MORRIS (1907-24); Benjamin  GARRETT (1910-17); W.H. GRAY (1910-11); Ben M. SMITH (1913-14); C.M. SWIFT (1913-19); W.H. GRAY (1918-21); J.D. CAMERER (1918-21); C.F. PRUETT (1918- ); W.W. LOWE (1919- ); W.S. PRUETT (1919- ); Hugo MILLER (1921-31); R.C. ROBB (1921- ); J.T. ARNOLD (1921-31); W.T. WILKINSON (1925- ); C.R. ALDERSON (1925- ); J.H. NELMS (1931- ); O.K. MILLER (1931- ); H.E. MINER (1932- ); W.R. JACK (1932- ).   Clerical Force and their Respective Period of Service:  R.W. WALTERS, Bookkeeper from Dec. 21, 1904-1910;  Nellie SCHERMERHORN, Assistant Bookkeeper from Jan. 1907 to 1909; L.J. LACEY, Assistant Bookkeeper from 1909-1910; L.E. GREEN, Assistant Bookkeeper and Assistant Cashier from 1910-1912; Herman SCHNEIDER, Assistant Bookkeeper from 1911-1913; C.R. ALDERSON, Assistant Bookkeeper, Assistant Cashier, and Cashier from 1912 to present; W.F. HOWELL, Assistant Bookkeeper from 1913-1917; F.E. JONES, Assistant Bookkeeper from 1917-1921; W.E. MORRIS, Assistant Cashier from 1921 to 1925; F.A. ROGERS, Bookkeeper from 1921 to 1932; A.H. MILLER, Bookkeeper from 1925 to present; F.E. JONES, Bookkeeper from 1932 to present.   Aug. 1906, the Hammond State Bank was consolidated with the First National Bank of Kinmundy. On March 7, 1931, the deposit liability of the State Bank of Kinmundy, was assumed by the First National Bank, Kinmundy. Board of Directors now serving: Chas. F. PRUETT, R.C. ROBB, W.W. LOWE, August BORCHELT, W.S. PRUETT, John H. NELMS, W.T. WILKINSON, O.K. MILLER, H.E. MINER, W.R. JACK, C.R. ALDERSON. Officers: Chas F. PRUETT - President; R.C. ROBB - 1st Vice President; W.W. LOWE - 2nd Vice President; C.R. ALDERSON - Cashier.  Clerical: A.H. MILLER - Bookkeeper; F.E. JONES - Bookkeeper.  ("The Kinmundy Express" 50th anniversary edition - Nov. 9, 1933)

 

(B-64) Hensley's - July 4, 1913.

“This was Hensley’s store, also known as the Company store.  Next was Matthew’s Harness Shop, and the big corner building housed

Dunlap’s Seed Store, Dr. H.L. Hanna’s office, Allen’s Carpenter Shop, Ellis Woolf’s Tin Shop, and others.”  (“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

“The Kinmundy Express” – July 6, 1972 - “This week, we give you a 4th of July scene on “Main” Street in Kinmundy 59 years ago.  We cannot identify any of the individuals in the picture.  The Hensley store, mentioned in the picture, stood across the street from our office, which is now a vacant space between the former Crain’s Café and the former Dunlap Building.  You will note the DUNLAP, or MATTHEWS Building, as it was then called.

            The HENSLEY Store was formerly known as the “Company Store” and was owned by C.E. HULL, who also owned and operated the coal mine.   Frank HENSLEY managed the store and afterwards took it over.

            Above the HENSLEY store can be seen cross-arms and insulators which reminds us that Mr. HULL built the first telephone system in Kinmundy and the central office was in the upper story of this building.  At the time of this picture, the central office had been moved to the second story of the Masonic Building by William B. ROSS.  In 1920 the HULL building collapsed one Sunday afternoon.  It was unoccupied at the time save for an upstairs apartment being lived in by Mr. and Mrs. Claude PARKER, who were uninjured in the collapse.  They were sitting in rocking chairs at the time and after the collapse, they were still sitting in their chairs, only down lower.

            The barber pole on the extreme right stands on the sidewalk in front of the Otis PENETON Barber Shop, now the Kinmundy Building & Loan Association. 

            The building in the background is the MATTHEWS & DUNLAP Seed House.  It was the only firm around these parts to buy redtop seed from the farmers.  They cleaned the seed and shipped it to market.  After serving its purpose as a seed house, the building stood vacant for a few years and then purchased by Dr. H.L. HANNA, who remodeled it and had his veterinary office therein.  After moving his office to his home, he razed the building and erected two houses on the site.  These homes now belong to Mr. and Mrs. W.R. DOOLEN and Mrs. George COLE. 

            This scene was evidently only a small portion of the crowd in Kinmundy on that day.  The following article will verify this.  It was taken from our files, dated July 13, 1913, and written by the editor, F.O. GRISSOM

 

"As advertised, Kinmundy celebrated the National Holiday in a patriotic, safe and sane manner.  The day was an ideal one for the celebration and the crowd in attendance was the largest in the history of the city.  The day passed without an accident of any importance and the crowd was in all respects civil and the police were not needed.  The people commenced to arrive from the country and surrounding towns by five o’clock in the morning and by nine o’clock the streets were crowded.
At ten o’clock the St. Peter Band headed the procession and marched to the beautiful shady park, where everything was in readiness for the comfort of the visitors.  After the usual opening ceremonies, Uncle Thomas E. Merritt, of Salem, addressed the large crowd in his usual good natured and able manner.  Our people are always glad of an opportunity to hear this speaker, as he is so well known to the older ones that they expect him on days of this kind.  Mr. Merritt has passed his eighty-first milestone and says he has not missed making a 4th of July address in fifty years and on some years he has made two.  He enjoys unusually good health for a man of his age and says he is about as good as ever with the exception of his eyes.
In the afternoon, Congressman Martin D. Foster, of Olney, was the principal speaker.  For an hour or more he spoke in a very able and earnest manner.  Mr. Foster has made other addresses in this city, but this time he had an opportunity to be heard by more people than ever before.  His talk was entertaining, instructive, and enjoyed by all.  This was the first time in five years that Congressman Foster had addressed a Kinmundy 4th of July crowd and he enjoyed the day very much meeting his many friends.  Our people were fortunate in securing such an able man for this occasion and he came all the way from the National Capitol to be here on that day and deliver the afternoon address.
At five o’clock the crowd assembled around the big balloon to see the ascension and parachute leap.  The manager, C.N. Hunt, of Springfield, had some trouble in filling the balloon on account of the wind and the ascension was not made quite on time, but the crowd waited patiently and at 5:30, the ascension was over and Prof. Jones, the rider, was landed in safety.  This was one of the prettiest ascensions ever made in this part of the country and the best part of it all was that no one was hurt and nothing happened to mar the pleasure of anyone.  An attraction of this kind is old, but at the same time is always new and attracts the crowd.  It seems that the majority of the people yearn to see something dangerous.
In the evening, the fireworks committee entertained the crowd before dark with a large number of small balloons.  The fireworks display was one of the best ever witnessed in Kinmundy and the thousands who remained were well pleased with the exhibit.  During this part of the program, a horse was frightened and a buggy broken and this is the only accident that happened during the day to our knowledge.
Taking everything into consideration and the amount of money that was available for the celebration, the program was one of the most successful ever held in Kinmundy.  The music furnished by “The Big Eight” was enjoyed by the crowd and the people were very surprised to know that Kinmundy afforded such talent."

 

 

 

 

Dr. H.L. HANNA, Graduate Licensed Veterinarian, Approved and Accredited by the Bureau of Animal Industry: Homer L. HANNA, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, has been a greater asset to our community than many of our readers think for. He has saved thousands of dollars worth of livestock for our farmers. You know animals are just like human beings. They get sick and meet with accidents just the same as we do and consequently need a doctor. Our subject is the only veterinarian for miles around. Consequently, he has a large territory and his practice keeps him very busy. Dr. HANNA gained his medical education under some very adverse circumstances. He was just a farmer, making a living for his wife and children, but he felt as though this community needed a veterinarian. This line of work appealed to him, and by he and his family making several sacrifices, he attended school during the winter months and farmed during the summer. In 1918 he graduated from the Terre Haute Veterinary College and began to practice in Kinmundy. Dr. HANNA has saved the lives of many an animal as well as many a flock of poultry. He has been very instrumental in the eradication of bovine tuberculosis in this territory and has placed Marion County on the accredited list. Homer L., son of David R. and Mary LANDRUM HANNA, was born in Kinmundy twp., Dec. 24, 1877. He gained his education in the country schools and the Terre Haute Veterinary College. In 1895, he was married to Miss Martha J. GRAY of Kinmundy. He sustained a great loss in the passing of this good woman. In 1930, he was married to Mrs. Nora GUST of Kinmundy, but owing to misunderstandings, this marriage was a failure. A few weeks ago he was married to Mrs. Esther GEORGE of Centralia, but formerly of this city. Dr. HANNA has 11 children, namely, Bertha, Gail, Clyde, Paul, Mary, Ruth, Leone, Ada, Dwight, Bobby and Beauford. He also has 3 step children, namely, Mrs. Florence JASPER, Mrs. Eva RUPE, and Mrs. Lyda BALDRIDGE. Dr. HANNA has quite a fascination for horses, especially race horses and at present, is the owner of 4 standard bred horses, which have made some fine records. ("The Kinmundy Express" 50th anniversary edition - Nov. 9, 1933)

 

(B-47b) In the background in above picture, Killie's grocery, Cox's Restaurant, the tree in front of Mrs. Dennis' house and millinery shop, and the barber shop.

The far right corner was Wetter's saloon, later the newspaper office, but later a vacant lot.

(Information from “Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

 

   

       (B-120) Downtown Kinmundy with Bertha Curry and Pauline Johnson

 

Kinmundy Illinois DeVore Smith Posey

(B-81) "Doc" Smith talking to Clay DeVore in the buggy. This is in front of Smith's office which still stands on West Third Street (in 1957). 

Looks like Jim Posey in the background.  The other man is not identified. (“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

Kinmundy Illinois Opera House

(B-97)  Rebuilding the opera house after the fire of 1903.

 (“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

 

 

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois White Feed Store
(B-75) White Feed Store owned by George white - circa 1911.

            Located at the 100 block of Madison Street.

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-76)  White's Feed Store is back on the left side.

 

 

 George Washington White Feed Store Kinmundy

(B-146) George Washington White’s Feed Store (Glen White’s grandfather).  They made feed there.

 

Pencil from White's Feeds and Produce

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Dan Gunn William Coleman Abe Songer Tolley Mendenhall Homer Foster Fred Killie

(B-148) “Dan Gunn’s store on 3rd street about 1898.  Seated are William Coleman (night watchman) and Abe Songer,

Standing: Tolley Mendenhall, unidentified boy, Homer Foster, and Fred Killie”

(“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

 

(B-160) Leander.C. Mathews Store - 1905.   Mr. Mathews is on the far left.

 

 

Kinmundy Broom Corn Wagons

(B-71) “Kinmundy Broom Corn Wagons” – “The Kinmundy Express - Oct. 21, 1909

 

(B-169) "When the Jasper Boys Drove to Town":  (Reprinted in "The Kinmundy Express" - Apr. 22, 1946"

"This picture was taken right in front of the Company Store which served the people of this community for several years and about twenty years ago, crumbled to the ground.  But if you will notice in the background, the Matthews Building still stands and is familiar to all of us.  It is now occupied by A.C. Dunlap and Son. 

August Jasper, living northeast of this city, produced three steers one year.  He also produced three husky farm lads, namely John, Arthur, and Chris.  And these boys, being typical farm lads, broke two of these steers to ride and one to drive.  This was their past time on Sunday afternoons and rainy days.  And they were pretty well broke, both the steers and the boys.  You can plainly see that it took some genius minds to concoct a cart of this kind as well as some harness to fit this purpose.  But in time, all steers outlive their usefulness and must go the way their owners intend them to go, over the meat block.  So August Japser made a deal with Farnk Hensley and the Hensley Store became the new owner of the steer.  And he was promptly delivered to town in this fashion.  Myron Hammer confesses to us that he and his brother, John, who were the butchers for Frank Hensley played the part of the villians and killed this steer.  Now Chris Jasper didn't tell us, but we'll bet anything the three Jasper boys didn't eat beef for a whole year.  We did not learn who snapped this picture but we rather surmise it was taken by O.N. Tyner, who was doing photography at that time.  The picture was rather brown with age so we copied it in order to get a clear cut." 

"The two boys on the extreme left have not been identified.  The next three boys are Stafford Buswell, Laverne Gray and Harold Boughers.  In the wagon standing is Ira Conant and seated is August Jasper.  The head in the left background is Rube Downs.  Then you see John Nelms, John Doolen, John Hammer, Tom Schoenborn, William Bouseman, Frank Nelms, O.P. (Farmer) Jones, William Hammer, Arthur Jasper, Clifford Downs, Frank Climer, O.P. Vallow, and the next gentleman is Albert Dunlap and his son Carl. The lad at the extreem right is Raymond Gardner and the boy driving the steer is John Jasper."

 

 

 

(B-65c)  Kinmundy Steam Heat Evaporating Co. located in the 100 block of East Second Street.  There were 2 or 3 in town at one time.

 "The Mendenhall Evaporator was started on July 4, 1890, and in 1891 F.A. Pruett started one.  In those days before freezers, drying fruit was a big business.

Frost's Lumber yard in the background.  These both burned in the 90s.  The Mendenhall family and employees are shown."

(“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

 

 

First National Bank of Kinmundy   

(B-52a) The Elder Building & I.O.O.F. on the corner of Madison and 3rd street.

On March 19, 1902, the First National Bank of Kinmundy opened for business on the corner of Madison and Third Streets.

In 1902/1903, this building was destroyed by fire, however, it was rebuilt and the First National Bank was rebuilt in 1906 as 2 story.

This picture was taken between 1890-1900.

 

 

(B-42) Kinmundy Light Plant (400 block of S. Jefferson) on east side of the street.  This is now a vacant lot.

From the Kinmundy Centennial book: "The old light plant, whose whistle sounded for all the fires and wrecks, as well as the basketball victories.

It furnished electricity from dusk to 10 or 11 p.m..  You were supposed to be home by then.  You heated your irons, and cooked on coal or wood

stoves, and cooled with ice, so you didn't need electricity in the daytime."

 

Kinmundy Illinois Light plant

(B-43) Kinmundy Light Plant (400 block of S. Jefferson) - distant view

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois light plant

(B-94) Kinmundy Light plant located on South Jefferson Street between 4th and 5th Streets

 

Kinmundy Illinois light plant

(B-93) Kinmundy Light Plant

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-110) Utility photo

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-111) Utility Photo

 

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Mill Songer Ingram

(B-40) Songer Mill located at the 200 block of W. Sycamore St.  Later this became Ingram's Mill.

“The old Songer mill, which was built in 1868, and made flour and corn meal till milling became the specialized business it now is.

The Ingram brothers ran it many years and now Ingram sons ship the grain for the community.  They are descendants of the first

James Harvey Gray.”

(“Kinmundy – Railway to Thruway (1857 – 1957”)

 

(B-41f) Kinmundy Milling Co. - Songer / Ingram Families

 

Kinmundy Illinois Mill Songer Ingram

(B-41b) Kinmundy Milling Co. - Songer / Ingram Families

 

Kinmundy Illinois Mill Songer Ingram

(B-41e)  Kinmundy Milling Co. - Songer / Ingram Families

INGRAM’s Mill, Flour and Feed Merchants: This firm was established in 1928 by R.L. INGRAM and his sons, Elwin, Dwight and Joe. This mill was built in 1867 by Giles and Abe SONGER. This was the pride and joy of Kinmundy in those days. Farmers came from miles around to have their wheat and corn milled. After the death of Giles SONGER, the business was carried on by his brother, Abe. In April 1907, it was acquired by Mr. W.C. INGRAM and his 2 sons, R.L. and I.D., with a few shares of stock scattered about town. In 1913, all of the stock was taken over by W.C. INGRAM, Robert L. INGRAM, and Nellie HOUSTON. And then in 1928, Robert L. INGRAM and his sons became the owner of it. The old mill has made many a barrel of flour for southern Illinois, but with the passing of soft wheat flour, so passed the main output of this mill. In days gone by, it furnished much employment for our city but now it is being operated by Mr. INGRAM and his 3 sons. The main output now is corn meal. They also grind and mix feeds. They are in the jobbing business now on a large scale, wholesaling and retailing several different commodities besides flour and feed. Robert L., son of William C. and Mary GRAY INGRAM, was born in Kinmundy on March 26, 1880. On Feb. 20, 1907, he was married to Miss Agnes EAGLESON of Calhoun, Ill. in Seattle, Wash. They have 3 children: Elwin, Dwight and Joe. Mr. INGRAM’s entire life has been spent in this community with the exception of a few years spent on the Pacific Coast where he bought grain for the Portland Milling Co. Before going west, he worked for his father and grandfather, uncle Harvey GRAY. He is a member of the Masonic Order, served Kinmundy as it’s Mayor for 4 years, was alderman for 8 years, was a member of the Board of Education for 15 years, and is now serving his 13th year as director of the Kinmundy Building and Loan Association.  ("The Kinmundy Express" 50th anniversary edition - Nov. 9, 1933)

Kinmundy Illinois Songer mill INgram

(B-145) Ingram's Flour Mill

             (It appears to be Isaac Denton Ingram squatting in the front)

 

 

Token for I.D. Ingram business (front and back)

 

 

Kinmundy Coal Mine

(B-100) The Kinmundy Coal Mine which was  located ¼ mile north of the grade school (810 E. 1st St.) just east of I.C. railroad tracks.  It was a leading industry for 20 years. 

This coal mine operated from 1884 – 1905 & closed because of high coast of operating/ not cost effective.  It went down 863 ft. & was 5 ft. thick. 

There was never a mine disaster or serious injury.

 

Kinmundy Coal Mine

(B-101) Kinmundy Coal Mine Parallel to tracts looking north.  This was the place where cars pulled under spout to dump coal.

 

 

Kinmundy Coal Mine

(B-102) Old Kinmundy coal mine slag mounds [taken 2004]

 

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-61)  Building located on S. Madison St. just south of the Wetter building.  (This has been torn down.)

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-62) This building was known as the old ice house and was located on the northwest corner of W. Sycamore and N. Madison St.

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-150)  Carriages - July 1905

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Ryan's Hotel\\

(B-92) Ryan's Hotel (across from Hugh Copple's)

(According to Elwyn Cheatum, this was on the northwest corner of 2nd and S. Jefferson St.   Half of it is still there and the other half was moved to Alma.)

 

 

(B-161a) "Dad's Hotel" that was cut in half.

 

(B-162a)  Original "Dad's Hotel" before it was purchased by Hulda and Albert Dunlap.  It was cut into two pieces and remodeled into the present

                Toler residence on the northwest corner of Jefferson and Second.  The remaining half was moved to Alma.

 

 

(B-163a) Another photo of the old hotel that was called "Dad's Hotel".

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Midway Hotel

(B-68) Midway Hotel located at 210 W. 4th Street.

 

 

 

(B-34b)  New Year's Postcard from J.F. Donovan

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

 

 

(B-46) Kinmundy Postcard of Churches

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Snelling's Restaurant

(B-88b) Snelling’s Restaurant

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois St. James Hotel

(B-116) Hotel St. James

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Frank Green

(B-112) Frank Green's Sawmill - Aug. 10, 1913

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Frank Green Sawmill

(B-113) Frank Green's Sawmill - Aug. 10, 1913

 

 

 

 

                                      A 5 cent bar token (front and back sides) for the saloon owned by Wyatt W. Williams in Kinmundy, IL. 

                                      This token was found in Salem by Tom Watts while out with his metal detector.  

Of course, those who are very familiar with the history of alcohol sales in Kinmundy will find this especially interesting, since Kinmundy has been "dry" for over 100 years.

 

Wyatt was listed in the 1900 Census in Kinmundy as being a saloon keeper, and he was raised in Kinmundy, later marrying Ellen Rooney. 

We're not sure it's the reason he relocated, but in a 1908 vote, all saloons were closed down in Marion County with the exception of those in Centralia. 

In 1910, Wyatt and Ellen were living in Centralia, and then in 1920 they had relocated to Salem, where they owned a hotel - which later burned to the ground,

and all that was saved from the fire was a rocking chair and a canary.    Both Wyatt and Ellen Williams are buried in Kinmundy's Evergreen Cemetery.

 

 

 

          

           (B-158a) Hotel Ryan.  The proprietor was Albert Eugene Elder, who was born and raised in Kinmundy, son of

                          John Boyd Elder & Bridget (Toolen) Elder.  The hotel was named after his wife, Beatrice Ryan.

                          In the 1900 census, Albert and Bernice (Ryan) Elder were listed as proprietors of the hotel with several boarders. 

                        

                          This property is located at 2-8 W. 4th St. in Kinmundy.  The upper story was torn down and Peggy and Junior Harvey

                          occupied the lower story (Feb. 2011).  Property once owned by Eris Conant in the early 1930's.

                          (Information from Eileen (Eagan) Garrett)                                

          

          

        (B-158b) Funeral card for Albert Eugene Elder, who's funeral was in Kinmundy.

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois postcard

(B-116) Postcard scenes of the Mill, West Third Street, Madison St. and  Kinmundy Lake

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois Mendenhall

(B-114) Postcard from the Park Nursery, E.G. Mendenhall, Proprietor, Kinmundy, Illinois

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois

(B-115) Postcard from Kinmundy, Illinois

 

Kinmundy Illinois

 

Kinmundy Illinois Gilmore

(B-112a and B-112b) G.W. Gilmore business card

 

 

(B-175) G.A.R. Soldier Monument in Evergreen Cemetery

 

 

(B-174) G.A.R. Soldier Monument in Evergreen Cemetery

 

 

Kinmundy Illinois City Directory

(B-115a) Kinmundy City Directory - July 1884    

 

(B-118)  1908 Kinmundy Business listing

 

 

 

Mercantile Agency Reference Book - Marion County, Illinois -  January 1914 (Page 1)

 

 

Mercantile Agency Reference Book - Marion County, Illinois -  January 1914 (Page 2)

 

 

Mercantile Agency Reference Book - Marion County, Illinois -  January 1914 (Page 3)

 

 

Mercantile Agency Reference Book - Marion County, Illinois -  January 1914 (Page 4)

 

 

Mercantile Agency Reference Book - Marion County, Illinois -  January 1914 (Page 5)

 

 

Mercantile Agency Reference Book - Marion County, Illinois -  January 1914 (Page 6)

 

 

Mercantile Agency Reference Book - Marion County, Illinois -  January 1914 (Page 7)

 

 

Mercantile Agency Reference Book - Marion County, Illinois -  January 1914 (Page 8)

 

 


 Site and contents copyright 2006-2016 - Kinmundy Historical Society (Kinmundy, Illinois) - a nonprofit organization.

(Information and photos on this site are not to be used for any commercial purpose.  It is free for the enjoyment and research of community and family information.)