Kinmundy First United Methodist Church

                 Kinmundy, Illinois

                                                       

                             Located at 308 E. 3rd Street, the Kinmundy First United Methodist Church is still active today!

 

        "In 1863, the Methodist Church became the second church in Kinmundy.  The original church building was moved in 1905 to make room for the

current building on the same corner location.  The church features beautiful stained glass memorial windows dedicated to past members of our

church family.

       Our hope is that we will be a community of Christians that demonstrates a common life of gratitude and devotion, witness and service, celebration

and discipleship.  Besides our worship services, Sunday school, Bible studies, and fellowship featuring some of the best potlucks in the world, we

strive to help others.

       We welcome the elementary children of the church and community to enjoy a weekly after school program called Wonderful Wednesdays. 

Worship is an integral part along with Christian fellowship and recreation.  Junior and Senior High Youth meet with Farina UMC for UMYF programs. 

We have an active Christian camping program for all ages as well as opportunities for mission trips and other activities throughout the year.

Joining with other local churches, we sponsor Kinmundy Care, a program for delivering meals, and Angel Food Ministries, a food program to serve

people.  We assist with the Neighborhood Food Pantry and participate in missions to help in disasters.

       Many gifts have been given to the church over the years and all have been greatly appreciated.  The most far-reaching benefits, however,

came from the 210 acres left to the church by Mary Mayer in 1957.  The importance of the contribution wasn’t realized until the 1980’s when oil

was discovered on the property.  An Oil Trust Committee was formed within the church with the sole purpose of determining the best use of these funds. 

The committee continues to serve providing funds for educational scholarships, missionary support, underprivileged aid, and city projects as well as

church improvements and additions.  Over 200 scholarships have been awarded to local high school students since the establishment of the

Mary Mayer Memorial Scholarship Fund."

 

                                           Click on www.kinmundychurch.org to check out the church's website!

                               (Sermons can be listened to by clicking on the upper lefthand corner of their webpage)

 

                                  Check out their Facebook page by clicking on Kinmundy First UMC Facebook Page

 

 

                              (Remember that you can also use CTRL-F to find a particular surname within these pictures when you are on the page.) 

          

                                                                        Click to return to  Churches Page

 

 


 

   We are looking for photos of people and/or places from around Kinmundy & Alma.  Can you help?

Or maybe you have stories or memories from the "Good Old Days"?  What do YOU remember?

        The Kinmundy Historical Society would be honored to preserve your memories and stories.  We also have the

equipment to scan (or copy) your photos so that they may be enjoyed now as well as for generations yet to come!

        We would love to hear from you!  For more information, please contact: 

       

   Dolores (Ford) Mobley – Dolores@ford-mobley.com

                       208 Joan Dr.; Divernon, IL  62530; (217) 625-7527

            or

           

            Gladys (Corrie) See – gsee49@yahoo.com

                                         408 S. Washington St.; Kinmundy, IL 62854; (618) 547-7731

 


 

                                                                                                   

                                                                                Kinmundy First United Methodist Church Centennial (1863 - 1963)

                                                                                                       (Click on the book to open it)

 


 

 

Kinmundy Methodist Episcopal Church - 1863 - 1906 (northwest corner of 3rd & Washington St.)

This was the second church built in Kinmundy.  It was a frame structure located in the exact same location as present Methodist Church.

(Information from the Centennial Book of the First Methodist Church in Kinmundy.)  

     


 

Kinmundy Methodist Episcopal Church

                             Kinmundy Methodist Episcopal Church  (1863 - 1906) located northwest corner of 3rd & Washington St.

                                         The last Sunday School service in the old church before moving it to the back of the lot. 

                            Some of the little folk in the front row are now grandparents and some just behind, great grandparents.

 


 

"Ground Breaking. Unique and Interesting Service held at the M.E. Church. Last Saturday, July 15, 1905, the contract for building the new Methodist Episcopal Church in Kinmundy was let to H.A. GRIFFITHS, of Sullivan, Ind., for the sum of $9475. The building to be of first class quality of pressed brick with slate roof, of modern style and finish. The extreme dimensions of the building to be 50 ft. 2 in. by 73 ft. 8 in., and including auditorium, Sunday school room and classroom. Just such a building as the Christian people of our city need and ought to have. On Monday afternoon at 4 o’clock a "Ground Breaking" service was held on the ground and the first dirt removed in preparation for the building. The services opened by singing the hymn "Jesus, Lover of My Soul. Let me to the bosom fly." after which Rev. G.W. SCAWTHON, a former pastor who is now superannuated and lives here, led in prayer as follows: "O Eternal God, mighty in power and of majesty incomprehensible, whom the heaven of heavens cannot contain, much less the walls of temples made with hands; and who yet has been graciously pleased to promise they especial presence wherever two or three of Thy faithful servants shall assemble in Thy name to offer up their praises and suppucations unto Thee; Vouchsafe, O Lord to be present with us, who are here gathered together, with all humility and readiness of heart, to consecrate this ground to the honor of Thy great name; separating it thenceforth from all unhallowed ordinary and common uses, and dedicating it to thy service. Accept O Lord this service at our hands and bless it with such success as may tend most to Thy glory, and the furtherance of our happiness both temporal and spiritual. Blessed be Thy name, O Lord God, for that it hath pleased Thee to have Thy habitation among the sons of men and to dwell in the midst of the assembly of the saints upon the earth, bless, we beseech Thee, the religious performance of this day, and grant that in this place now set apart to Thy service, Thy holy name may be worshiped in truth and purity through all generations, through Jesus Christ, our Lord, Amen." After the prayer, Rev. J.S. McCLUNEY, pastor of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, read the scripture lesson comprising a part of Solomon’s prayer at the dedication of the Temple. The pastor, Rev. N.D. SWEENY, then delivered a brief address appropriate to the occasion, after which Samuel INGRAM or "Uncle Sammy", as he is affectionately called, formerly, "broke ground" for the new building, while the whole congregation enthusiastically sang "Praise God from Whom all Blessing Flow." The service closed with the son "Savior, more than life to me. I am clinging, clinging close to Thee." And prayer by Rev. O.E. LOCKART, pastor of the M.E. church South. After this the officials the members and friends, old and young took turns in continuing the work of breaking ground. Uncle Sammy INGRAM is the oldest member of the M.E. Church, is over 80 years of age, and has been an official member of the M.E. church for sixty years, having served at various times as Class Leader Sunday school Superintendent, Steward and Trustee. The latter office he still holds. He was accompanied by his esteemed and faithful wife to whom he was married over 61 years ago. A photograph of the group was taken just as he was removing the first dirt. The Methodist people have surely planned wisely and worked faithfully and every good citizen will be glad to see it successful consummation of the work they have undertaken. Notes: J.S. NICHOLS of Sullivan, Ind., who was in our city Saturday has secured the sub-contract for the brick and stone work on the new M.E. church. H.A. GRIFFITH, of Sullivan, Ind., was in our city Saturday closing the contract with the M.E. church people for erecting their new building. The spade used at the groundbreaking exercises of the M.E. church Monday was donated for the purpose by our enterprising young hardware men, TOMLINSON & WOLFE. This spade is to be kept until the cornerstone laying, when it will be put up auction and sold as a souvenir to the highest bidder. The donors have already authorized a bid of ten dollars to start it. Such interest manifest by our young business men in this church building enterprise is very commendable indeed. Will someone make it $25 or $50?" - ("The Kinmundy Express" - July 20, 1905)

 


 

 

Kinmundy Methodist Church

Kinmundy Methodist Episcopal Church (northwest corner of 3rd & Washington St.)

 

The building was completed & opened to the congregation for worship service on April 22, 1906.   The church was filled, chairs placed in the aisles and vestibules and standing room only in the rear of the church!  The message, “The Boys of ’61 to ’65, or “The Sunny Side of a Soldier’s Life,” was delivered by Reverend Thomas Corwin Iliff, D.D. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  It was an unprecedented honorable occasion to have a nationally known pastor speak at this dedication and to our congregation.  This two-day dedication service was closed by Rev. Dr. Iliff in a truly compelling and emotionally filled fashion.

   The Civil War was over some 40 years ago.  Still, in many areas the wounds had been slow to heal.  Dr. Iliff asked all Civil War veterans, both North and South, to come to the altar.  Then he asked their wives to come forward, and then all the children.  With great excitement and enthusiasm he told them all “the war is over, we are all brother and sisters in the eyes of the Lord.  From this forward let’s act accordingly.”  There was much excitement and shouts of joy as the evening ended with the trustees making the closing proclamation.  “We present unto you this building to be dedicated as a church for the service and worship of Almighty God.”

      [Information from “Centennial, Sunday, October 23, 2005 of First Methodist Church Sanctuary, Kinmundy, Illinois, 1905 -2005” put together by the Historic Committee – Elwyn Cheatum, Dale Wright, Barb Wilson, Judi Slane, Duane Ambrose, Rudy Slane, & Denise Slane]

 


 

Kinmundy Methodist Church 1910

                             The Kinmundy Methodist Episcopal Church Sunday School Picnic – ready to start – July 12, 1910

 

 

 

 

Kinmundy Methodist Church

Kinmundy Methodist Episcopal Church (northwest corner of 3rd & Washington St.)

 

 

 

Kinmundy Methodist Church

Kinmundy Methodist Episcopal Church (northwest corner of 3rd & Washington St.)

 

 

 

 

 

Kinmundy Methodist Church

                                                                                              Kinmundy Methodist Church

 


 

 

Sept. 6, 1942 - Outside the east door one morning at the Kinmundy Methodist Church

Back row: Helen Pruett, Nancy Lowe, Fern Gray, Annette Vallow, Mrs. Florence Franklin

Front row: Nelda Jones with James, Nora Olden with Garry, Margaret Shufeldt with Warren, Frances Kline

 


 

 

Methodist Men Receive Deed to 40 Acre Tract of Land - God's Acres:

The presentation was made on the night of Nov. 17, 1954 at the Annual Appreciation Dinner.

(Left to Right) Dr. Walter A. Smith, Supt. of the Olney District; Burdette Brasel, President, Methodist Men; Sam Lowe, who held the deed to the land;

J.N. Vallow, Chairman God's Acres Committee; Eugene Shufeldt, Treasurer God's Acres; Glendon Hodson,

Conference Lay Leader and Attorney, of Centralia, who handled the Incorporating of the Club; Rev. A Vance Comer, Pastor.

 


 

Breaking ground for the new parsonage - Aug. 16, 1956.  (Left to right): Lewis J.T. O'Dell, Chairman Official Board; Dr. Walter A. Smith, Supt. of Olney District;

Miss Ella Parrill (94) eldest member; Rev. A. Vance, pastor; Merle Kline, Chairman Building Committee; J.N. Vallow, Lay Leader Olney District

 

"The Kinmundy Express" - Aug. 23, 1956:

On Thursday evening, 74 members and friends of the Kinmundy Methodist Church witnessed the ground breaking ceremony on the newly acquired lots for the new parsonage.  Within the program were the people of the community to break ground: Miss Ella PARRILL, 94 year old member of the Church; (Mrs. Allie NELMS, also 94, was unable to be present); Merle KLINE, Chairman of the Building Committee; Dr. Walter A. SMITH, District Supt.; Lewis J.T. O’DELL, Chairman Official Board; Rev. A. Vance COMER, Pastor; J.N. VALLOW, Lay Leader, Olney District.  Actual construction is scheduled for early October.  (The eldest member of the local church is Mrs. S.A. WHISNANT of Salem, who will be 96 years old on Aug. 26.  The two eldest local members of the church are Miss Ella PARRILL and Mrs. Allie NELMS, both 94 years of age.)

 


 

Kinmundy Methodist Church

                                                         Kinmundy Methodist Church

 

Kinmundy Methodist Church groundbreaking

 Breaking ground for the new church parsonage, just south of the church in Kinmundy

 

 

Kinmundy United Methodist Church postcard

 

 

                                                                                Kinmundy United Methodist Church - 2011

 


 

"Kinmundy Centennial Booklet; "Kinmundy"; Railway to Thruway; 1857 - 1957"

 

“Circuit Riders were preaching Methodism in this area before Kinmundy was a town.  Their stations were Bandy Branch, Fosterburg, and Pleasant Grove.  James HARSHA was pastor of the Salem Circuit in 1833, and preaching was held at the stations as well as in private homes.  In the summer of 1858 Dr. ELLIOTT, of Salem Circuit preached occasionally in Kinmundy.  Rev. James           WOLLARD, of the same circuit, was the first regular pastor.  He organized the first class whose members were Waller HENSLEY and wife, Samuel LAWRENCE and wife, George MARSHLAND and wife, Melinda SPROUSE, Clara RUSSELL, Sarah FISH, Marshall GEE and Wm. BLURTON.

The present Methodist minister is Rev. Earl PHILLIPS [1957] Father STRZELEC is pastor of St. Philomena’s Church.[1957]

In 1863 the Kinmundy Circuit was formed, P.P. HAMILTON became pastor, and through his efforts the first church, a white frame building, was built, on lot 59 in the Original town plat, and where the present church now stands.  Elias NEIL was the first superintendent of Sunday School.  In 1904 plans were made for a new building and the following committee was appointed: Capt. C. ROHRBOUGH, Chairman; F.A. PRUETT, Miss Molly SONGER, W.W. NEIL and W.H. GRAY.  In July the contract was let and Samuel INGRAM, the oldest member, turned the first spade of dirt.

The new brick building with beautiful stained glass windows, was dedicated the next year.  It is still a fine church and has been improved during the years by the congregation.

This year, 1957, a new parsonage was built across the street from the church and the old one was sold, to be torn down.  A worthy project of this church is “God’s Acres,” forty acres of land bought by the Methodist Men and farmed by them for the benefit of the church.”]

                                                                                                              


 

Articles from "The Kinmundy Express":

July 20, 1905: Ground Breaking. Unique and Interesting Service held at the M.E. Church. Last Saturday, July 15, 1905, the contract for building the new Methodist Episcopal Church in Kinmundy was let to H.A. GRIFFITHS, of Sullivan, Ind., for the sum of $9475. The building to be of first class quality of pressed brick with slate roof, of modern style and finish. The extreme dimensions of the building to be 50 ft. 2 in. by 73 ft. 8 in., and including auditorium, Sunday school room and classroom. Just such a building as the Christian people of our city need and ought to have. On Monday afternoon at 4 o’clock a "Ground Breaking" service was held on the ground and the first dirt removed in preparation for the building. The services opened by singing the hymn "Jesus, Lover of My Soul. Let me to the bosom fly." after which Rev. G.W. SCAWTHON, a former pastor who is now superannuated and lives here, led in prayer as follows: "O Eternal God, mighty in power and of majesty incomprehensible, whom the heaven of heavens cannot contain, much less the walls of temples made with hands; and who yet has been graciously pleased to promise they especial presence wherever two or three of Thy faithful servants shall assemble in Thy name to offer up their praises and suppucations unto Thee; Vouchsafe, O Lord to be present with us, who are here gathered together, with all humility and readiness of heart, to consecrate this ground to the honor of Thy great name; separating it thenceforth from all unhallowed ordinary and common uses, and dedicating it to thy service. Accept O Lord this service at our hands and bless it with such success as may tend most to Thy glory, and the furtherance of our happiness both temporal and spiritual. Blessed be Thy name, O Lord God, for that it hath pleased Thee to have Thy habitation among the sons of men and to dwell in the midst of the assembly of the saints upon the earth, bless, we beseech Thee, the religious performance of this day, and grant that in this place now set apart to Thy service, Thy holy name may be worshiped in truth and purity through all generations, through Jesus Christ, our Lord, Amen." After the prayer, Rev. J.S. McCLUNEY, pastor of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, read the scripture lesson comprising a part of Solomon’s prayer at the dedication of the Temple. The pastor, Rev. N.D. SWEENY, then delivered a brief address appropriate to the occasion, after which Samuel INGRAM or "Uncle Sammy", as he is affectionately called, formerly, "broke ground" for the new building, while the whole congregation enthusiastically sang "Praise God from Whom all Blessing Flow." The service closed with the son "Savior, more than life to me. I am clinging, clinging close to Thee." And prayer by Rev. O.E. LOCKART, pastor of the M.E. church South. After this the officials the members and friends, old and young took turns in continuing the work of breaking ground. Uncle Sammy INGRAM is the oldest member of the M.E. Church, is over 80 years of age, and has been an official member of the M.E. church for sixty years, having served at various times as Class Leader Sunday school Superintendent, Steward and Trustee. The latter office he still holds. He was accompanied by his esteemed and faithful wife to whom he was married over 61 years ago. A photograph of the group was taken just as he was removing the first direct. The Methodist people have surely planned wisely and worked faithfully and every good citizen will be glad to see it successful consummation of the work they have undertaken. Notes: J.S. NICHOLS of Sullivan, Ind., who was in our city Saturday has secured the sub-contract for the brick and stone work on the new M.E. church. H.A. GRIFFITH, of Sullivan, Ind., was in our city Saturday closing the contract with the M.E. church people for erecting their new building. The spade used at the groundbreaking exercises of the M.E. church Monday was donated for the purpose by our enterprising young hardware men, TOMLINSON & WOLFE. This spade is to be kept until the cornerstone laying, when it will be put up auction and sold as a souvenir to the highest bidder. The donors have already authorized a bid of ten dollars to start it. Such interest manifest by our young business men in this church building enterprise is very commendable indeed. Will someone make it $25 or $50? (A picture of the ground-breaking accompanied this article.)

Sept. 21, 1905: Corner Stone Laid. Large Crowd in Attendance. The corner stone of the new M.E. church was laid Tuesday, September 19th, 1905, with the beautiful and impressive ceremony of the Masonic Lodge. Though the weather outlook during the morning hours was very threatening, the clouds cleared away and by the time the hour of service arrived a large and enthusiastic crowd was assembled on the grounds. The public schools were dismissed, business houses closed and the day given up to the general season of gladness and thanksgiving. The foundation and basement of the building had been completed and the sills and joice laid for the first floor. The corner stone with neatly beveled edges and appropriately inscribed had been suspended on a crane ready for the ceremony. The Masonic Grand Lodge under escort of Oyrene Commandry No. 23 of Centralia, Il., the following named Knights: D.B. ROBERTSON, Jacob PEIFER, C.D. TUFTS, L.M. BOSTWICK, Jas. A. GREER, J.W. LARIMER, A.W. GAUSE, N.M. REXFORD, H.M. CONDIT, W.H. GRAY, arrived at 11:15 and with the city officials, choir and officers of the church, took possession of the platform. The Grand Lodge then proceeded to lay the corner stone according to the ancient order of their craft. The following is the roster of the Grand Lodge: C. ROHRBOUGH, G.M.; C.A. BECKETT, D.G.M.; J.M. MARROW, S.G.W.; E.G. FORSHEE, J.G.W.; F.A. PRUETT, G.T.; W.W. NEIL, G.S.; J.H. BALLANCE, G.C.; T. DeWitte PEAKE, G.O.; G.W. SCAWTHON, G.P.; T.S. MARSHALL, G.M.; A.M. YOUNG, G.S.B.; A.M. ALLEN, S.G.D.; S.L. BUNDY, J.G.D.; John LACKEY, W.H. WHITE, C.S. NEIL, A.S. SCHERMERHORN, G.S.; C.S. GURNEY, G.T.; S.S. CHANCE, Master of oldest Lodge; Fred PULLEN, Grand Architect. The exercises began with a beautiful Organ Voluntary by Prof. Jakie CHANCE, of Salem. The Pastor at the order of the Building Committee, formally invited the Grand Lodge to lay the cornerstone, which invitation was accepted by Grand Master C. ROHRBOUGH. Invocation was then offered by Grand Chaplain, J.H. BALLANCE, followed by a beautiful anthem "The Lord is King" by the M.E. Church Choir. The Grand Master then proceeded with the assistance of the Grand officers to place the corner stone in position, which ceremony closed at high noon. A beautiful and appropriate solo by Thos. E. PRICKETT closed the morning service. A recess was then taken for the noon hour during which time the guests partook of a bountiful and delicious dinner, which was served by the Ladies Aid Society in the old church. After dinner the services were resumed in C. ROHRBOUGH’s yard, which had been provided with seats; the front porch being used as a platform for the speakers. The exercises opened with an anthem by the choir, who sustained their well deserved reputation as excellent singers. Rev. D. R. DeWitt PEAKE, grand Orator, was then introduced and spoke in a clear and pleasing voice on the theme "The relation of Masonry to the church." The orators words were well chosen and not easily misunderstood. Evidently many who were not familiar with the teachings of the fraternity were enabled to see their principles in a clearer light, and if anyone failed to receive deep impressions of the Spiritual life and teaching of the church it certainly was not the fault of the speaker. A quartet of preachers composed of Revs. C.A. BECKETT, E.B. FYKE, C.F. THRALL and V.W. THRALL, sang the very appropriate selection, "On Christ the solid rock I stand." Rev. C.A. BECKETT of Centralia, was then called upon for an extemporaneous address which did full credit to the speaker and the occasion. Revs. FYKE and CUNNINGHAM sang a duet which was well received. Dr. BECKETT by special request sang a solo, entitled, "Unanswered Yet" which was fully appreciated. A few closing remarks were made by the pastor and C. ROHRBOUGH, expressing appreciation for the occasion; the preacher’s quartet sang a beautiful selection and the meeting adjourned with the benediction by the Grand Chaplain, J.H. BALLANCE. The following is a list of articles contained in the casket deposited in the corner stone of the new Methodist Episcopal church, Kinmundy, Ill., on Sept. 19, 1905:

1. General subscription list to church erection fund.

2. Brief sketch of organization of the first City Council, also roster of the present Council.

3. Book of Constitution and By-laws Kinmundy lodge No. 398, A.F. & A.M.

4. Holy Bible.

5. Discipline of the M.E. Church.

6. Roll of Membership prepared by Rev. N.D. SWEENY, Pastor.

7. Copy of Christian Advocate date Aug. 10, 1905.

8. Copy of Central Christian Advocate, date Sept. 6, 1905.

9. Copy of Epworth Herald date Sept. 9, 1903.

10. Copy of Kinmundy Express, date Aug. 31, 1905.

11. Photo of old church.

12. Copy of Kinmundy Express dated July 20, 1905.

13. Photo of Ground Breaking service.

14. Church card.

15. Portrait of Bishop David H. MOORE.

16. Portrait of Rev. J.W. FLINT, D.D., Presiding Elder.

17. Portrait of Rev. E.B. FYKE, Dist. Epworth League Pres.

18. Minutes of Southern Ill. Conference session 1904.

19. Copy of Sunday School Journal and Bible Students Magazine.

20. Brief sketch of earlier Kinmundy prepared by some of the oldest inhabitants.

21. E.L. list of friends of the cause.

22. Copy of poster advertising corner stone laying.

23. Silver dime issue 1905.

24. Copy of Royal Templar date March 1891.

The copy of the Christian Advocate placed in the corner stone contained pictures of the Russian-Japanese peace commissioners and an account of the settlement of the war. The Bible was a beautiful copy in soft leather binding and was presented to the church for this purpose by Fred J. NIRIDER. J.S. WILLIAMS gave the silver dime. The neat copper box in which the articles were placed was made and donated by TOMLINSON & WOLFE. The occasion was a great success and marks an era in the history of Methodism in Kinmundy. The ministers present were Revs. C.A. BECKETT, Centralia; T. DeWitt PEAKE, Salem; J.E. McCRACKEN, Xenia; C.F. THRALL, Patoka; E.B. FYKE, Vernon; V.W. Thrall, Farina; W.L. CUNNINGHAM, Mason; V.D. LINGENFELTER, Fairfield; G.W. SCAWTHON and N.D. SWEENY of Kinmundy, and O.E. LOCKART, and J.H. BALLANCE, of the M.E. Church South, F.O. FANNON, of the Christian Church.

Aug. 23, 1956: Ground Breaking Ceremony Held Thursday Eve: On Thursday evening at 6:30 o’clock, 74 members and friends of the Kinmundy Methodist Church witnessed the ground breaking ceremony on the newly acquired lots for the new parsonage.  A nice program was arranged by the pastor, Rev. A. Vance Comer.  Dr. Walter A. Smith, District Supt. of Flora officiated. Mrs. J.N. Vallow presided at the portable organ. The following program was given: Call to Worship - Rev. A. Vance Comer; Doxology; Invocation - Mrs. Gene Ernst, President Woman’s Society of Christian Service; Hymn: “Lead On, O King Eternal”; Prayer – Harvey Hanna, President Methodist Men; Scripture: Gene Ernst, Lay Leader; Hymn: “O For a Thousand Tongues”; Responsive Reading led by Dr. Walter A. Smith; Remarks by Dr. Smith; Acceptance of Deed, B.J. Rotan, Member Board Trustees; Ground Breaking by Miss Ella Parrill, 94 year old member of the Church; (Mrs. Allie Nelms, also 94, was unable to be present); Merle Kline, Chairman of the Building Committee; Dr. Walter A. Smith, District Supt.; Lewis J.T. O’Dell, Chairman Official Board; Rev. A. Vance Comer, Pastor; J.N. Vallow, Lay Leader, Olney District.  Hymn: “Blest Be the Tie that Binds”; Benediction: Lavern Ambuehl, Member of the Board of Trustees.  The Comission on Stewardship and Finance of the Methodist Church met Sunday afternoon and planned a personal every-member canvass to subscribe the amount necessary to reach the new parsonage goal.  Mailings to members and interested friends will precede the canvass. Actual construction is scheduled for early October. 

Aug. 16, 1956:      (The eldest member of the local church is Mrs. S.A. WHISNANT of Salem, who will be 96 years old on Aug. 26.  The two eldest local members of the church are Miss Ella PARRILL and Mrs. Allie NELMS, both 94 years of age.) A picture was also included of the crowd witnessing the Ground Breaking Ceremony.

 


 

“Brinkerhoff’s History of Marion County, Illinois - 1909”; by Prof. J.H.G. Brinkerhoff

 

"Methodist Episcopal at Kinmundy" (page 149)

 

            “In the summer of 1858 a local minister of Salem preached a few sermons at Kinmundy.  James WOLLARD was the first regular pastor, and he was followed by G.W. WAGGONER, and he by John THATCHER, all acceptable preachers.  The first class was formed during the pastorate of WOOLLARD and consisted of nine members, four males and five females.  It may be of interest to know who they were, so we give their names: Waller HENSLEY and wife, Samuel LAWRENCE and wife, George MARSLAND and wife, Malinda SPROUSE and William BLURTON.  The Kinmundy circuit was formed in 1863 and P.P. HAMILTON was the preacher, and by his efforts the frame meeting-house was built, which was torn down about four years ago to make room for the present beautiful structure.  The first church was dedicated by T.F. HOUTS.  Elias NEIL was the first superintendent of Sunday School, which was organized in 1862.  From that time until the present the church has had a steady growth and now numbers about two hundred communicants.  The new church cost about ten thousand dollars, and is an ornament to the city as well as a monument to the zeal and liberality of the members.

            Odin and Sandoval were for many years one charge, and in each place is a neat church building, and at each place there is at present a congregation of over one hundred members, but no important information is reliable is obtainable.

            Patoka circuit, formerly called Fosterburg circuit, was cut off from the Salem circuit.  Originally five neat chapels were on this circuit and all still exist.  In some places, however, preaching is had only occasionally and the buildings are not all properly kept up, but in all Sunday schools are maintained.  In the village of Patoka there is a good church building and regular services held.  The circuit is in fairly prosperous condition.  There is a good parsonage at Patoka and in former years this circuit maintained one of the best camp meeting grounds in the county, but of late years the camp meeting has disappeared as the necessity has disappeared for their use.  Fosterburg is no more, but the Patoka circuit is active and doing a great work in its particular field.

            The Iuka circuit is the remainder of the original Salem circuit.  It has four appointments and they are all supplied from Iuka.  They maintain four church houses and four Sunday schools.  The membership of this circuit is about three hundred and fifty.

            There is at present in the county about twenty-two church buildings, valued at about two hundred thousand dollars, and a membership of about twenty-two hundred (estimated).  The circuit rider, who in an earlier day braved all danger that he might carry his message of peace and love, is only now a name.  No more in this county is he to be seen with saddlebag and Bible journeying from appointment to appointment, heeding not the summer’s heat, nor the winter’s cold, but now the preacher comes to his appointment with horse and buggy, preaches and drives home again.  The old way has given place to the new; may the new prove to be as effective as the old.

 


 Site and contents copyright 2006-2014 - Kinmundy Historical Society (Kinmundy, Illinois) - a nonprofit organization.

(Information and photos on this site are not to be used for any commercial purpose.  It is free for the enjoyment and research of community and family information.)